St. Patty’s Day: NYC Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

Saint Patrick’s Day began as a feast in honor of Saint Patrick, an Irish patron saint. My grandparents celebrate by eating cabbage and corned beef, the traditional Irish foods, with something to drink, of course. However, if you are in New York City, Saint Patrick’s Day does not have to be this tame! There are plenty of fun ways to celebrate the holiday. A simple pneumonic may help you plan your day. A Leprechaun is hiding a pot of…

Green apparel! This is the one time of year to wear your best green attire, whether it’s a green man suit or green tee shirt, you can show off some Saint Patrick’s Day spirit. Many stores are taking advantage of this holiday to sell some great clothing items. Try Urban Outfitters for some funny shirts! If green is not your color or it is too late to find anything, look for green accessories instead, like a scarf, shoes, and headband or maybe green nail polish. Duane Reade is pretty stocked, if you haven’t noticed.

O
bserve Irish pride firsthand by attending the Saint Patrick’s Day Parade! Since 1762, the Saint Patrick’s Day parade has taken place in New York City and is even known as one of largest parades in the world. This year the parade will start at 11 am on 44th street and 5th Avenue, passing Saint Patrick’s Cathedral and the Irish Historical Society. The parade finishes around 4:30 pm at 86th street. If you want to have a great view of bagpipes, lots of Irish flags and some entertaining people watching, the earlier the better!

L
uckily for you, if the parade is not your idea of a fun time, there are plenty of movies for anyone who wants to celebrate on the inside. “The Fighter” truly illustrates the importance of Irish family values in an exciting boxing movie. “The Boondock Saints” is an action packed movie about two Irish brothers getting involved with the mafia. If you like chick flicks, “Leap Year” and “P.S. I Love You” have great footage of Ireland even if the movie itself is not your favorite. Other suggestions are any movies with actors Colin Farrell and Liam Neeson who are Irish natives. Or anything with a leprechaun in it works!

Drink. Your friends, parents, and (in my case) grandfather have already started. But don’t forget to pace yourself and supplement your beverages with some hearty soda bread!

Giselle Boresta

Columbia Barnard

Giselle, Class of 2014 at Barnard College, is an Economics major with a minor in French. She was born in New York City, grew up in Ridgewood, NJ, and is excited to be back in her true hometown of New York City. She likes the Jersey Shore (the actual beach, not the show) and seeing something crazy in New York every day!