Spring into Health

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

Though you may have thought—while trudging through snow on your way home from Butler—that it would never come, springtime has finally arrived! With this lovely season of growth comes a breath of fresh air for our bodies, minds, and souls. I, for one, am incredibly excited to bust out of my stuffy winter coat and mindset into a time of more sunshine, warmer temperatures, longer days, and more excitement as campus and NYC reawaken.

As our natural surroundings enter a rich state of vitality, opportunities abound for us to do the same: use spring as a season to enrich our mental and physical well-beings. Wondering how to get the most out of springtime? Here are a few ideas:

1.     Exercise outdoors. Take advantage of the ‘Goldilocks (just right)’ weather and take your workout to Riverside Park, Central Park, or the lawns! Whether it’s jogging, walking, yoga, or just some good old-fashioned push-ups, exercising outdoors gives your body and mind an extra push in the right direction. Studies[1] suggest that exercising outdoors requires extra exertion, leading to a better workout. Other studies[2] show that outdoor exercisers experienced decreased “tension, depression and fatigue,” and increased “vitality, enthusiasm, pleasure and self-esteem.” [3] Don’t have a fun workout routine? Start a new one! Rent a bike from Bike and Roll (bikenewyorkcity.com) in Central Park or along the Hudson.

2.     Stop to smell the roses—literally.

Take a study break that’s not on Facebook and head down to the riverside; you’ll thank yourself later. A studyfrom South Korea tells us that the sight of natural landscapes increases activity in the part of the brain associated with “positive outlook and emotional stability.” Along the way, you’ll kick-start your body’s vitamin D synthesis and boost your mood. As if you needed another excuse, venturing outdoors may also help you gear up for the library: According to The University of Michigan, an hour in nature increases “memory performance and attention spans” by 20 percent. Pro-tip: Take your lunch date outside for a revitalized afternoon.

3.     Try new things.

Spring is the perfect season for exploring, an activity that promotes not only good stories, but also positive emotions. If you’re feeling extra adventurous, visit the Brooklyn Botanic Garden for their Sakura Matsuri Cherry Blossom Festival, where—in addition to their 52-acre cherry blossom garden—you’ll enjoy tea ceremonies, flower arrangements, and music and dance performances. Or, stay in Manhattan and visit The Cloisters or The High Line on a sunny day. Trying new restaurants and foods count too! Maybe you’ll finally try those macarons everyone has been raving about (Time Out New York says Ladurée has the best), or you’ll explore your cooking abilities with these springtime recipes that use delicious in-season fruits and veggies.

The springtime weather and mindset offers so much to us college women. Take advantage of the season healthily by using a daily moisturizer with an SPF, checking the ‘PollenCast’ if you’re affected