The Single Gal’s Guide to Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

Most people dread being single on Valentine’s Day. After being single on Valentine’s Day for some years now, I have come up with some ways to make Valentine’s Day bearable and even enjoyable! It is a day about love in all forms, not limited to romantic relationships.

Your Valentine does not have to be a partner, pick someone that loves you. Ask your Mom, Dad, siblings or your best friend to be your valentine. Think of people who will always be there for you and show them how much you appreciate them by asking them to be your valentine. You would be surprised what the people you love will do for you to show their affection. Buy a few valentines like you did in elementary school and give them out to your friends. They will appreciate the gesture and hopefully, show you their appreciation in the form of lots of chocolate. Also, who says you have to have only one valentine? Ask as many of your friends or family members as you like!

Make a date night with some friends, who might be feeling down. If you plan a nice dinner with your friends at one of your favorite restaurants, there is no way you can feel lonely surrounded by all the people who you count on for support. It is a great excuse to eat at your favorite restaurant too. Or maybe make it a night in by buying some delicious treats or valentines candies to share with your suitemates. There is no reason why Valentine’s Day cannot be about your one true love… food.

Some suggestions around the upper west side:

Pisticci: http://www.pisticcinyc.com

Calle Ocho: http://www.calleochonyc.com

Max Soha: http://maxsoha.com/max-site-home.html (and check out Allee’s piece on Valentine’s Day Destinations on the UWS for more suggestions!)

There are a few men in your life that will not let you down… and you can find them in the movies! Watching a nice chick flick can be a reminder of what you are looking for in a potential Valentine for next year. Matthew McConnaughey, Ryan Gosling, George Clooney, Ryan Lochte, and Matt Bomer are a few examples of some beautiful men to fill your television screen on Valentine’s Day. There are some great classic movies like “Notting Hill”, “When Harry Met Sally”, “Pretty Woman” and “The Notebook”. If you are not in the mood for a chick flick, try a comedy, like Mean Girls (It’s so fetch!). My personal favorites are Audrey Hepburn movies, especially “How to Steal a Million” (which is one Netflix). “Safe Haven” is coming out too if you want to be the first to see the latest chick flick!

If you hate Valentine’s Day and none of these suggestions work for you… Throw an “I Hate Valentine’s Day” Party. Invite all your friends who are also single and bash on Valentine’s Day. Why do these couples have a day to throw it in your face? Be powerful, gorgeous, single women! We all have a suspicion that Valentine’s Day was created for Duane Reade to sell cards…