Rocking Color in Cold Weather

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

During the winter, the air might be chilly and night might come sooner, but that doesn’t mean the awesome styles of winter need to be gloomy and bland…

And it most certainly doesn’t mean that the colors of fashion need to lose their wonderful, memorable spark!

This winter, don’t let anything hold you back in terms of fashion and color—wear fashions that you feel amazing in! Color your outfits with an unparalleled, spirited boldness that you adore! Proudly show your true self in fresh, lively hues that will radiate wherever you go! 

Here are some great, confident colors to wear for this winter season…

Pink: Join in on the popular color craze of the winter season and reveal your feminine, romantic side in a beautiful pinkish hue this winter. In the chilly winter air, mingle with the light, crystal snowflakes by wearing a blushed, cozy sweater that is certified to look cute and sophisticated! Or, you could easily wear a simple pink long sleeve shirt! This rosy pastel will look absolutely fantastic paired either with casual blue jeans or a pair of killer leather pants (rather than just black, maybe try to wear a pair of leather pants with a reddish hue…which will look fantastic with the pastel pink!). Besides a sweater or a regular long-sleeve shirt, take the pink color trend to a whole new level—stay warm and stylish in a pink, oversized coat! Oversized coats are great to wear in the cold, winter air and you will be sure to stand out in one that is of a magical flushed shade. 

Emerald green:While walking down Broadway in the coming winter months, be bold and make your presence known in the pantone color of the year, emerald green. Truly stand out like the jewel itself in an array of emerald hued fashions! Go all out and embrace the color to the fullest by wearing a rich green trench coat of pure energy and delight! Wear this with a pair of black opaque tights and you are sure to make a statement! Besides the trench coat, you could always wear a printed, creative design that includes the emerald hue—this will most definitely awaken the senses! If you want to stick with wearing something simple, put on an emerald green turtle neck long sleeve sweater or shirt, or an easy oversized cardigan. Accessorize in a sleek pair of emerald leather gloves or an emerald colored bunchy scarf. Make this winter exciting! 

Maroon/Oxblood red: Awaken the mysteries and intrigues of the infinite possibilities of the fashion world and wear a color of appealing darkness and passion—oxblood red. This color is sure to pique the interests of many, whether you are sitting in a discussion section or a large lecture. Oxblood red will emit vibrations of enigmatic warmth! Wear a pair of powerful oxblood red leather pants. Have them accented with zipper details to further the captivating, edgy feel. Oxblood red will also be a great color on a lacey top or a timeless button-down shirt. In terms of the shoes, oxblood red is certified awesome on a pair of daring booties

Brown: Stay one with nature with the earthy tone of brown for this winter. From a pair of cool corduroy pants to a fur trimmed brown leather coat, the color will be mesmerizing. A great pair of brown hued combat boots or Timberlands are must-have’s for the season! 

Gold/Silver: Be confident in the chilly night air and glisten among the snow in the colors gold and silver. These two colors are great for evening festivities. Wear a sparkling gold or silver mini dress, skirt, or blazer when you are rocking out on the NYC streets. These two colors will guarantee that your daring look will radiate! Accentuate the already charming colors by wearing gold or silver sequins. Either way, you will shine in sparkling liveliness and glossy wonder! 

Don’t let the cold get you down this winter! Let it liven you up and warm up your colorful fashion spirit! 

(Images from Fabsugar.com, Seventeen.com and Pinterest.com, cover photo: cafeapostrophe.tumblr.com)

Meredith Coleman

Columbia Barnard