Paris Fashion Week Highlights

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

As always, this year’s global fashion show month concluded with the biggest names in Paris, and the Spring/Summer 2016 collections did not disappoint. Here are just five of our top show picks this fall.

Louis Vuitton

Nicolas Ghesquière’s latest for the legendary French house was nothing short of show-stopping. The collection was centered around visions of manga-like gamer girls, complete with laser detailing, pink leather, and holographs galore. The Frank Gehry-designed venue, the Fondation Louis Vuitton, was also decked out in a futuristic, sleek design scheme.

Dior

Dior takes the cake for most elaborate runway setup in Paris this season: a huge mountain of thousands of flowers at the Louvre. But the clothes stole the show from even the fantastical setting: Raf Simons dreamed up a collection that delicately balanced softer and more masculine influences. The clothes, which were primarily in black and white, varied from boxy men’s-style jackets to scalloped white shorts.

Céline

This season marked another success for the much-loved designer Phoebe Philo. She commissioned Danish artist FOS to design the futuristic soundtrack and brightly-colored staging; models paraded by dressed in clothes that Philo stated “strong” women “going somewhere” would want to wear – in other words, for the independent and confident. The brand’s signature body-skimming, fluid cuts were here, put into play with a few flowing skirts and new plaid prints.

Dries van Noten

This season’s collection was, above all else, true to the brand’s creative DNA. The show, which took place in a large industrial hangar, featured the vibrant, eclectic patterns and chunky-heeled shoes that made the designer famous.

Loewe

The award for most innovative use of materials and fabrics may very well go to the Spanish house’s Jonathan Anderson, who created a collection that heavily featured the likes of Perspex and plastic. The clothes were a breath of fresh air for the storied label, and provided another dose of modern design sensibility. From long dresses over pants to intentionally unnatural cuts, it was one of Loewe’s most explicitly contemporary collections in recent memory.