Pampering Yourself, Post-Midterms Style

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

It’s that time again…midterms are here! Between the exams, the papers, and the late-night coffee runs, it can be hard to find time to relax and just chill without constantly thinking “I should really be studying”. However, after you finish your midterms is a perfect time to pamper yourself- you deserve it! Here are some ways to unwind after working hard.

Go for a walk

When was the last time you got some fresh air? Midterms may have had you cooped up in your dorm or the library, so go outside! Walks are a good way to get some time to yourself and enjoy the views of autumn. They get your blood flowing and are a good way to de-stress.

Catch up on your favorite TV show

Studying for tests means that you’ve missed out on the fall TV lineup. Now’s your time to watch the latest episodes of Modern Family, The Mindy Project, or whatever show you love. If you have a lot of self-control, you could even start a new show on Netflix (don’t get sucked in to a Netflix binge).

Spa-Day

A mini spaday is a great way to relax. You could get some friends together and give each other manicures and face masks. You end up with pretty nails, glowing skin, and a much needed bonding session with your friends. Also, fall is the perfect time to change up your nail colors! Dark nail polish is a fall must-have.

Shopping

You could go window-shopping if you don’t feel like spending money, but buying a pair of shoes you’ve been eyeing for a while, or a dress you saw online last week can be the perfect way to reward yourself for your hard work. It’s healthy to splurge on yourself every once in a while (or so I tell myself).

Yoga

Everyone knows the benefits of yoga- leads to better sleep, relaxing, increases flexibility, etc., but not everyone has tried it. Why not? Yoga can help you de-stress and calm down, and it’s also a great way to get into shape! There are tons of places to do yoga on the Upper West Side, and there are a lot of parks that offer free yoga on certain days.

Ama Kwarteng

Columbia Barnard