Packing like a Pro

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

When going through airport security these days, it is almost guaranteed that there will be a problem with your luggage. TSA will probably determine that your carry on bag is too large and you will have to check it at the gate. This may lead to it being lost and you will most likely spend the first few days of your vacation living out of a friend or family members suitcase, or worse, the hotel gift shop. However, if you master the art of effective packing by simplifying your wardrobe, you will have a much more relaxing trip.

The first step of effective packing is determining what you should bring. What kind of trip are you going on? A tropical vacation with your family? A ski trip? Visiting a friend at a different college? Whichever the case, the first question to ask yourself is where are you going and for how long will you be traveling? Plan to pack two outfits for every day: one for day and one for evening. If possible, it is most efficient to pack in a single color story. Neutrals usually work best so pick either black, grey, or shades of brown, to accent with pops of color in your accessories. This will make it easier for you to mix and match.

In terms of how you organize your suitcase, it is critical to pack in layers. Shoes are ALWAYS on the bottom, as they are the heaviest and dirtiest. Then, to save space, stuff rolled-up socks and underwear inside of your shoes. Next is clothes that can be rolled, which I consider to be anything that doesn’t wrinkle: exercise clothes, t-shirts, pajamas, etc. Roll these articles of clothing and place them in the crevices of the bag if possible. Then fold button down shirts, shorts, and pants in a layer above your rolled clothes. The final top layer is your dressier pieces, which should not be folded but rather draped across the top of your suitcase. If you are extremely fastidious, you can place a thin layer of tissue paper between each fold in your dressier, more easily wrinkled pieces of clothing. This will prevent them from looking like you slept in them. Finally, pack bras and bikinis in a side pocket of your suitcase along with cosmetics (for easy access).

When packing a toiletries bag, be sure to separate liquids in a clear Baggie and to make sure none are over four ounces for airport security. I usually pour my favorite products into travel sized bottles and label them with sharpies. I make sure the cords on my flat iron, hair dryer, and computer charger are all neatly wrapped so that TSA doesn’t give me any issues. Wear shoes that slip on and off easily and a pair of socks (preferably without any holes.) Have your baggies full of liquid items and your laptop easily accessible at the top of your carry-on.

I cannot promise that your trip will be stress free as flight delays and other airport complications are becoming almost routine. However, if you pack efficiently it is certain that everything in your control will go smoothly and is one less thing to worry about.

Toby Milstein

Columbia Barnard

Hi my name is Toby Milstein and I'm a student at Barnard College at Columbia University!