New York City’s Top 10 Hot Chocolate Spots

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

1. City Bakery

3 West 18th Street – Manhattan

(212) 366-1414

www.thecitybakery.com/

City Bakery is considered by many to be the top place for hot chocolate in all of New York. Their cup of pure delicious hot chocolate is so thick and creamy; you’d think that they just melted down bars of dark chocolate. To top off the yumminess they place a homemade marshmallow in the center of the steaming chocolate. Their “Hot Chocolate Festival” in February features a daily hot chocolate flavor. Another perk of City Bakery is that it’s a nice walk to the highline from the bakery; take your cup of deliciousness and walk to one of the most beautiful spots in the city! 

2. Eataly

200 Fifth Avenue – Manhattan

www.eatalyny.com

At the Lavazza café, the cioccolata con panna is rich, dark, and sweet, but not too sweet. For a real treat get it with fresh whipped cream. Eataly is a wonderful place to get a dose of true Italian culture. The shop is right near the magnificent flat iron building and Madison Square Park so take a walk around with or after your delicious cup! 

3. Serendipity

225 E. 60th St (between 3rd Ave & 2nd Ave) – Manhattan

http://www.serendipity3.com

While Serendipity’s hot chocolate isn’t exactly traditional it is one of the best in town. Their version of hot chocolate, “frozen hot chocolate” is a delicious and fun way to switch up the temperature of the classic winter beverage. The location is close to a variety of stores including Dylan’s Candy Bar, Bloomingdales and Urban Outfitters. 

4. Max Brenner

841 Broadway (Union Square area)

http://www.maxbrenner.com

Max Brenner, the king of chocolate, as you might have thought does hot chocolate quite well. His adorable “hug mugs” keep in the warm chocolaty goodness with style. Go sit and enjoy the rich and creamy hot chocolate and maybe some other yummy chocolaty baked goods, and then take a stroll around the always-entertaining Union Square. 

5. La Maison du Chocolat

30 Rockefeller Plaza (between 5th and 6th Ave.)

www.lamaisonduchocolat.com

La Maison du Chocolat is great place to stop in the dead of winter for their amazing hot chocolate. It has a real Parisian feel to it and gives you a great excuse to walk around midtown. The hot chocolate is classic and very rich. 

6. Lady M. Cake Boutique

41 E. 78th Street – Manhattan

http://www.ladym.com

Lady M is a delicious café where you might not be able to escape without buying a slice of cake! While they are mostly famous for their cakes, their hot chocolate is magnificent as well. Lady M named after the famous John Sargent painting is not so far from the home of the painting, The Metropolitan Museum of Art, head to the Met on 82nd and 5th after your warm cup of goodness. 

7. François Payard Bakery

116 W. Houston Street – Manhattan

This deliciously perfect French hot chocolate is made with heavy cream and milk; it almost tastes like a great milkshake. It is a very filling drink, so definitely don’t plan on going on a full stomach or bring someone to share with! 

8. Jacques Torres Chocolate

62 Water Street — Brooklyn

www.mrchocolate.com

In Brooklyn’s trendy DUMBO area, Jacques Torres offers the NYC customer a well-made traditional hot chocolate. It is an exquisite drink made with 2% milk and melted chocolate. Once you are already down in Brooklyn, why not head to the Brooklyn Museum (200 Eastern Parkway). 

9. Aroma

161 West 72nd Street (between Columbus and Amsterdam Ave.)

http://www.aroma.us/index.php

The modern Israeli establishment serves a variety of great drinks, most famously the iced Aroma. Their hot chocolate is equally delicious. They have their own brand of chocolate so it is made with steamed milk poured over melted aroma chocolate, foam and some cocoa powder. 

……..And last but not least……..

10. Tom’s Restaurant right down the block

While you might be surprised to find Toms (the notorious location for late night binge eating) on this list, it’s right by campus and is a nice place to have a cup of classic American hot chocolate with whipped cream with a friend. It might not be the most fancy in the city but it definitely hits the spot! 

Emily Shoyer

Columbia Barnard

Grew up in Washington, D.C. born in Geneva, Switzerland. Love art history, my family, friends, alternative rock, fashion, New York City, Europe and fun. Oh and of course Barnard :)