This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

Being from New Jersey, I’ve gotten a taste of that vibrant New York City energy that has radiated throughout novels, television, and pop culture for decades. However, whether you’re an NYC local or from across the world, the thought of starting college in the heart of New York is incredibly new and exciting. Every landmark, however cliché, will have its own unique charm when visiting with your college friends. Here’s some places I hope to go while in college!

Rubin Museum’s Meditation Session

First on my bucket list is a mindfulness meditation session offered every Thursday at the Rubin Museum. I remember frequently going to this oasis of art and culture as a child with my father and, occasionally, a couple of his friends. Going to the museum is an experience I recommend to everyone — especially to students — because it offers an escape from the typical collegiate grind. I haven’t been there in years, but I have a great desire to go back and relive all those memories through the 45-minute program that consists of a 20-minute meditation session and a discussion.

Metropolitan Opera

As college students, we should take a second to absorb the rich cultural experiences this incredible city has to offer. One of the most remarkable gems on my NYC bucket list is the Metropolitan Opera. Out of many that are showing this season, I’m leaning towards Madama Butterfly or Tannahäuser. What’s even better, the MET offers student discounts and rush tickets! 

Walking Around 5th Avenue in December

There has always been something magical and charming about Christmas in the city, even if you don’t celebrate it. I don’t know whether it’s the warm lights that illuminate the streets or the millions of times my best friends and I watch Home Alone II that have imprinted the pleasant spirit in my mind. Going window shopping sometime in December with a hot chocolate in hand with friends or family is something to look forward to.

The Metropolitan Museum of Art (MET) 

Visiting The Met is a must for any Barnumbia student: you simply can’t go enough times because of its vast number of exhibits. The museum is like a time machine with which you can take a journey through history and culture as you saunter from room to room. I did go there once with a group of friends already during NSOP (checked from my bucket list!) but I’d love to go back and explore more. What’s even better is that it’s free for us as students, and they often host events that align with various academic interests, making it a perfect place to combine learning and leisure!

Central Park 

No NYC list is complete without a stroll in Central Park. I want to grab a soft serve (or maybe some nuts or kebabs from the street stalls) with a couple of friends and enjoy a windy, scenic route. Whether you’re unwinding with friends, diving into a textbook, or just people-watching, Central Park is the ultimate escape.

Vintage Photo Booth 

While our phones have made it easier than ever to capture moments on the fly, there’s something utterly charming about the tactile experience of a photo strip emerging from an old-school booth. Popularized by TikTok, there are many of these vintage Photo Booths across the city waiting for us.

Slam Poetry at the Nuyorican Poets Cafe

NYC is not just about skyscrapers and bustling streets, but also a place where creativity thrives around every corner, and one of the most vibrant hubs for artistic expression is the Nuyorican Poets Cafe. Nestled in the Lower East Side, this is where slam poetry finds its home, and is a performance I would love to see!

Concerts

As a college student in New York City, one of the most electrifying experiences you can have is catching live concerts. Although I checked this off with Lyn Lapid’s concert for Filipino Heritage Month, we should all try catching a couple over the year!

New York Public Library 

While we already have some of the most beautiful libraries on campus, I would love to explore the nation’s largest public library, especially as all of us are given NYPL cards. I would love to study in The Rose Main Reading Room, with its grandeur and hushed atmosphere similar to Butler, must be a perfect place to study *aesthetically* while taking a break from campus. 

Cafe Exploration

We all know that feeling of needing a quiet, cozy spot to dive into our studies without the looming pressure of library silence. New York City is the ultimate backdrop for those seeking a clandestine cafe oasis. While our university libraries offer solitude and focus, sometimes you just want the comforting hum of conversation and a latte by your side. I hope to explore different cafes throughout the year. 

I hope to experience every item on my bucket list. But why should it only be me? Grab a friend and make your way to some of these places! Bon chance!

Zala Bhan

Columbia Barnard '27

Zala is a freshman at Barnard College studying Mathematics. In her free time, she enjoys fencing and exploring different places with her best friend.