Meet the Team: Writer Grace Lim

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

School & Class: Columbia College ‘22

Hometown: Valencia, California

1. Tell me a little about yourself. Are you involved with anything on or off campus?

Besides being on editorial for Her Campus, I am a coach for Columbia Youth for Debate, a student representative of the Columbia Office of Admissions Multicultural Recruitment Committee, and a member of SOON Movement.

2. What do you think Her Campus Media stand for?

I think Her Campus Media stands for the unity of all women across all college campuses. Though our experiences on each campus is different, I believe that the culmination of these unique perspectives is what makes Her Campus Media so exciting and empowering for women.

3. Why did you choose Columbia or Barnard?

I chose Columbia because of the intellectual rigor of the Core Curriculum and the one-of-a-kind diversity that makes up the campus. I was also drawn to Columbia’s presence in the thriving city of New York, where I have the ability to apply what I learn inside of the classroom and on campus to the real world.

4. What inspires you to write?

Most often, the cup of tea that I’m sipping on while typing away on my laptop somehow invokes the most creative and inspirational moments in my writing.

5. What are you passionate about?

I am passionate about my cultural ties to the motherland, an empowering piece of poetry, and modern pop art.

6. What positive changes do you want to see in the college/university?

More readings and discussions within the classroom centered on female and minority literature.

7. Who is your role model?

My father! At such a young age, he left home in search of a better life for his family in America, and no amount of thank yous can express how grateful I am that my Appa taught me how to be fearless and persistent in the face of any obstacle.

8. If you could make one change in the world, what would it be and why?

This is a hard one, but I do wish that we lived in a world where social pressure wasn’t as toxic as it is today, and people could take a few more risks and carry themselves with a bit more confidence.

9. What are you most looking forward to during winter break?

I’m looking forward to the California sun, walks in the park with my dog, and long nights at the Santa Monica pier with my childhood friends.

Grace Lim

Columbia Barnard '22

I am a first year at Columbia University studying sociology and east asian languages and cultures. In my free time, I enjoy cafe hopping and trying all things green tea!