Little Update, Big Apple: A Day in NYC

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

Ah, the illustrious metropolis that is New York City — you know that other world that lies just a few blocks away from Butler? With midterms coming up and Spring Break not far behind, sometimes it can be hard to break out of the MoHi bubble and remember that we live in, arguably, the greatest city in the world. Even though you’ve got work, school, and everything else on the brain, take a day (yes, a whole day!) for yourself. Screenshot this plan, grab some pals, and get goin’!

8:30 AM (Breakfast in Soho)

Leave behind your sleepiness and get ready to step into the bustling microcosm that is SoHo. Your first stop is The Crosby Street Hotel for an a-la-carté blueberry pancake or a go at their breakfast buffet. Rooted in British tradition, the Crosby Street features both kitschy chic decorations and incredible food, making it a completely ‘grammable destination.

10:00 AM (Tour of 30 Rock)

Fresh from your wonderful breakfast, grab the 1 back up to 50th and head on over to 30 Rockefeller Plaza. Home to NBC, 30 Rock is where Saturday Night Live, The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon, Late Night with Seth Meyers, and other NBC favorites are taped. (Heads up, go to nbc.com to reserve tickets to these tapings) For insider access, get tickets to the NBC Studio Tour, where you will be taken through the history of NBC with particular attention to its most popular shows. High points? Getting to record your own Weather segment and seeing the SNL wig department.

2:00 PM (The Great White Way)

If there is one thing that encapsulates the intrigue and drama of New York, it’s Broadway. Since you probably have been wanting to see a show since NSOP, but could never find the time – here’s your chance! Your trek through Times Square will have ultimately led you to the TKTS booth where you can purchase discount tickets to On & Off Broadway shows. Alternatively, do a little work beforehand and check to see if the show you want to see has a lottery. You can stop by the theater and get Student Rush tickets for even cheaper. See, not everything in New York is expensive! Relax those pavement-pounding feet for a few hours as your matinee starts. Hopefully you can get those songs out of your head before dinner. (Unlikely.)

6:00 PM (Become a Culture-Vulture)

You’ve taken this day for yourself, to get out of that #studygrind and into more of a tourist mentality. Congratulations! Treat yourself to a quick trip into the Met’s newest location. The Met Breuer’s collection houses the Met’s Modern / Contemporary work and will no doubt leave you with enough inspiration that you may even consider fulfilling that Visual and Preforming Arts requirement next semester.  

8:00 PM (Dinner of Champions)

After a long day of sampling some of what the famed city has to offer, grab your final meal of the day at Rafele Ristorante in Greenwich Village. The food here is better than what you would find in Italy…trust me.

A day in New York doesn’t get much better than this. Enjoy your time outside of the bubble and make sure to take a giant bite out of the Big Apple. I promise it will be sweet.

Barnard First-Year trying to figure out life (read: get into Taylor Swift's clique).