Working women?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Working women?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Unsplash
Career > Work

How To Tackle Interviews As An Introvert

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

Ah, It’s that time of year again—the season of job applications, interviews, and heart-pounding anticipation. If you’re like me, you need a two hour buffer to prepare for a zoom interview, and another three hours to recover from it afterward. But as a junior who’s gone through this interview inferno over and over again, I’ve gained more composure with interviews. Think of it as a stage for yourself to adapt to, and reference the following guidelines to not only survive but also thrive in interviews this application season!

Preparation is Key

Introverts often shine when it comes to preparation. Use this strength to your advantage. Research the company, the role, and the industry thoroughly. 

Make a list of potential interview questions and practice your responses. By the time the interview rolls around, you’ll feel more confident and less anxious. Here’s a list of common questions you can keep in mind:

• Tell me about yourself.
    This open-ended question is often used to assess your communication skills and learn more about your background.
  • Why do you want this job?
    Explain why you’re interested in the position and how it aligns with your career goals.
  • Can you describe a challenging situation you’ve faced at work and how you handled it?
    This question evaluates your problem-solving and interpersonal skills.
  • Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
    This question assesses your long-term career goals and whether they align with the company’s objectives.
  • Tell me about a time when you worked as part of a team.
    Interviewers ask this to assess your teamwork and collaboration abilities.
  • Tell me about a challenge you’ve faced and how you overcame it?
    Use the STAR (Situation, Task, Action, Result) method to structure your response, providing a specific example of a challenge you’ve encountered and how you resolved it.
  • Do you have any questions for us?
    Always have a few thoughtful questions prepared to ask the interviewer. This demonstrates your interest in the position and the company.

Master the Art of Small Talk

Interviews often start with small talk, which can be particularly daunting for introverts. But note well that this is also where your listening skills shine. Pay attention to what your interviewer says, and ask open-ended questions. Repeat back key points or phrases that the interviewer mentions to show that you’re engaged and attentive. Show genuine interest in their responses, and you’ll be amazed at how smoothly the conversation flows. If you notice that you share a similar background, hobby, or experience with the interviewer, mention it. For example, “I noticed from your profile that you’re also a fan of hiking. I recently hiked a challenging trail. It was fantastic! Do you have a favorite hiking spot?” If you’re nervous about small talk, prepare a few safe, go-to topics in advance. These could be related to industry news, recent events, or common interests. This will give you a safety net to rely on if you’re unsure how to start the conversation.

Craft Your Unique Selling Points Spiel with Anecdotes

As an introvert, you might not be used to promoting your own accomplishments, but it’s crucial. Take time to craft your unique selling points: first, look at your resume and reflect on your experiences, what did you demonstrate consistently? Deep thinking? problem-solving? Your ability to listen and reflect actively? Especially, when you are working, it’s good to keep a journal of details that are representative of your unique quality: What did you do that contributed to the team beyond your role? How did you cope with challenges? What detail did you notice that made a big impact?  Share stories from your past experiences that illustrate your skills, competencies, and achievements. Stories are not only memorable but also show a personal side that can help build a connection with your interviewers.

Practice, Practice, Practice

Introverts often gain confidence through practice. Try mock interviews with friends or mentors, and consider recording yourself to identify areas for improvement. Career centers, FGLI groups, and pre-professional clubs on both Columbia and Barnard’s campuses often provide opportunities to practice your interviewing skills, as well! Attending career fairs is a great way to get better with advocating for yourself on the spot, too. Like with anything else, the more you practice, the more comfortable and confident you’ll become.

At the end of the day, it’s not about being extroverted; it’s about showcasing your talents and abilities in the best possible light. Keep up the passion no matter what, fill in the speeches and finesse into it, and I promise, you will be able to paddle through the labyrinth of the corporate world.

Julie Chow

Columbia Barnard '25

Juile Chow is a student at Barnard College studying English and Creative Writing. She's a big fan of art museums, audiobooks, MOBA games, and Karaoke. She is passionate about writing popular fiction and wishes to complete a monumental young adult autofiction before she's 30.