How to Impress Your Average Bro: Movie Lines You Should Know

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

It’s gotten to that point in the night when you’ve pulled out all the initial stops.  You look great in your new blouse and mini skirt, you’ve playfully batted your lashes at the cute boy at the bar, allowed him to buy you a drink, and exchanged the basics.  “I go to Barnard…but it doesn’t really feel like it’s all girls, I mean I hang out with guys all the time… I don’t know how you deal with the core, it seems miserable…”

Now it’s the time to make an impression. The unfortunate stigmas of attending an all women’s college are either that we all have a particular sexual orientation, we are all obsessed with bubble tea and The Notebook, (or all three). If you are looking for this guy to stay interested and realize that you’re really awesome, you have to come out with something that shows him you are somewhat aware of what guys like to talk about. 

So what is your next move? You’ve put bait on the hook, you’ve thrown out the line(or two), and here’s the sinker: Movie quotes. It is a general rule that people who like the same movies are compatible. Quoting your favorite films is also a good way for you to see if this guy is cool enough to be worth your time, or if he’s seen Star Trek just forty times too many.  However, you have to make sure that you don’t scare a guy off with mention of scenes from sap like Pride and Prejudice, so you have to start out with some examples from films that are, what some might call, “guy humor” (although as a girl I also find them hilarious).

Just in case there are some of us out there with a limited knowledge of the genre of “boy movies,” I’ve selected a few of my favorites that pretty much every normal/cool/penis possessing human has seen and enjoyed. And if you haven’t watched these masterpieces, you should really put them at the top of your things-to-watch-while-I-procrastinate list (you know you have one).

“How much can you know about yourself if you’ve never been in a fight?” – Tyler Durden, Fight Club (1999)
            Fight Club is about asserting your manliness and is packed with fighting, explosions, and the beautiful Brad Pitt in his prime.  Blood content is minimal, so those of us who are a little squeamish can probably get through it if you just look away during a few parts. Adapted from Chuck Palahniuk’s novel, this film is packed with quotable witticisms and memorable scenes that will make you look baller in front of most guys.  While Fight Club is a standard component of most guys’ movie canons, the parts that are really funny are subtle, so you know this guy is smart and observant if he starts spitting his own quotes.

“You’re killing me, Smalls!” – Ham Porter, The Sandlot (1993)
            The most memorable line from every baseball player’s childhood favorite. The Sandlot is a great movie to quote especially if you are a huge softy and love to watch kid’s movies again and again. It revolves around a little league team, so even those of us who can barely spell the word Yankees can follow the plot. You can be sure that boys that love this film are sporty and just kids at heart.

“I don’t roll on Shabbos” – Walter Sobchak, The Big Lebowski (1998)
            Get your mind out of the gutter, druggies, Walt here is talking about bowling, and as an observant Jew, he does not “roll” on the Sabbath.  Lebowski is a quirky film that can almost enter into the cult category.  Guys who love “The Dude” are probably a little Indie and, like “The Dude”, probably don’t take anything in life too seriously unless it’s the integrity of a really sweet rug. Don’t understand what I’m saying? WATCH IT.

“Each and every man under my command owes me one hundred Nazi scalps…and I want my scalps” – Lt. Aldo Raine, Inglourious Bastards (2009)
            If you are a German supremacist you will NOT enjoy this movie and if the guy you are trying to impress is a German supremacist, he will be PISSED that you brought it up.  The rest of this dialogue was actually cut out of German showings.  But if you are just a normal girl who likes to enjoy some non-politically correct humor at the expense of Adolf Hitler, this guy-humor classic is right up your alley.  Though it displays Brad Pitt just a few years past his prime, he is still pretty great to look at. Guys who love to quote Inglourious are usually smart, politically savvy, and obviously have a great sense of humor.

“You know what they call a quarter pounder in France? A royale with cheese.” – Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction (1994)

So this isn’t the best line in Pulp Fiction, but its one of the few famous quotes in the film that does not include racist slang and the word motherf!@#$%.  Filled with some of Hollywood’s most magnificent actors (John Travolta, Sam L. Jackson!!) Pulp Fiction is a classic and arguably the finest work of director Quentin Tarrantino’s (who is also in the movie, waddup) career. There is definitely some gore and lots of violence but hey, sometimes you have to be hardcore if you’re trying to be one of the guys.

“The man punted Baxter!” – Ron Burgundy, Anchorman (2004)
            Who doesn’t love a good Will Ferrell movie? They all feature the same humor and a lot of the same cast so you can probably go watch anything starring Will Ferrell, Steve Carell, or Paul Rudd (who all star in Anchorman) and experience the oh-so-boy-ish jokes and shenanigans that appear in this comedy.  That being said, Anchorman is a superb comedy, it’s even a little sentimental for those of us who like a good love story, and extremely quotable.  Boys who love this one are total sweethearts, so start becoming acquainted with the Channel 4 news team. 

Giselle Boresta

Columbia Barnard

Giselle, Class of 2014 at Barnard College, is an Economics major with a minor in French. She was born in New York City, grew up in Ridgewood, NJ, and is excited to be back in her true hometown of New York City. She likes the Jersey Shore (the actual beach, not the show) and seeing something crazy in New York every day!