How to Be a Flawless Freshman: Staying the FRESHest FRESHwoman at Barnard

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

Spring Break has come and gone and it’s back to the daily bump and grind. I bet you didn’t consider your post-break woes when you signed up for those 8:40 AM classes Monday through Thursday.

Once your duffel bag is unpacked and you’re settled back into the Quad, it can be easy for you (and, apparently, your alarm clock) to completely forget about self-care. Here are some tips to get you back on track post Vernal Equinox:

1) Tell your friends about your responsibilities

Then it won’t just be about your conscious; you’ll have some friendly peer pressure to keep you from skipping those dreaded pages of Biology 1500 notes to binge Mad Men.

2) Take a different path to your next class

Now that it has stopped snowing, we must realize it is actually Spring! Yes, people, Maggie the Magnolia Tree is beginning to bud! Go out and take a deep breath of New York City air. It’s the freshest we get all year! 

3) Spring Cleaning! 

Once you’re back inside from your glorious walk around Morningside, you’ll feel anew and will probably want everything else around you to feel this way too…this feeling calls for Spring Cleaning! Break out the Clorox wipes and switch out those sweaters for some t-shirts and maxi dresses!  And, oof, when was the last time you dusted?

4) Now Spring Clean yourself

You’ve been outside for the longest time since August and have cleaned every inch of your room. I’d say it’s shower time. Break out that aromatherapy body wash you’ve been saving.

5) Conquer those responsibilities

Whether it’s preparing for that debate your class has coming up or trekking over to Duane Reade to buy the box of tissues you’ve needed since Sunday, (allergy season, am I right?) check everything off on your to-do list; you’ll be proud that you did.

6) Revel in your accomplishments

Sit in your pristine room, wrap a heat pad around your shoulders and call your mom, dad, friends, etc. to brag about the day’s accomplishments. I’m sure they’ll be proud.

These little steps once or twice a week will keep you fresh and ready to demolish the rest of the spring semester. Have fun and stay happy, fellow first-years!

Sydney Hotz

Columbia Barnard

Sydney is in love with New York City, dogspotting, and chorizo tacos. She's an aspiring novelist, a Barnard feminist, and might deny she was born in New Jersey.