How to Be a Flawless Freshman: The Sinister Social Triangle

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

Say hello to our newest addition to the Her Campus Barnard team and the new voice behind our very own “How to Be a Flawless Freshman” series. Stay tuned this semester for some more great advice from the lovely Sydney!

After a lovely and relaxing winter break back home, I was excited and a bit nervous to return to Barnard. Coming back to Hewitt food instead of home cooked meals definitely made the transition that much more difficult. It felt like that first day of school feeling all over again, except I knew what to expect this time.

My dorm room was as clean and organized just as I had left it. I knew the names of most of the buildings, although some across the street remain unknown. (Anyone know where Schemerhorn is? Me neither.) Lastly, I knew I needed to focus and repair my GPA. I was so excited to be in New York City last semester. I spent more time exploring and going to concerts and book signings than studying biological hormones…

But not this semester!

I had a plan to finally solve the dreaded social triangle!

I can sleep and have friends AND obtain a 3.5 GPA!

And here’s my plan to do it!

Health before anything

If you aren’t healthy, you can’t really do anything. I learned the hard way, through years of overachieving and not managing my stress levels, that nothing is worth compromising your health–not that lab report, not your Econ pop-quiz in the morning, not even that fun mixer in an hour. If you feel run down, set your priorities and keep them. Eat well, find ways you enjoy de-stressing, vent, visit Primary Health Services and most importantly, laugh!

Focus

Remember why you came to Barnard. Remember who you are and how you got here! You’re incredible and your classes, internships, jobs, and extracurriculars can certainly be a reflection of this with a little bit of focus.

Cut it out

Sit down and think about the activities and classes that mean the most to you. What are your three most important goals? Higher GPA? Visit the student career center for the first time? Form study groups in the newly polished LeFrak? Navigate Ferris all on your lonesome? Plan room for serious business, monitor your progress, and remember to have a little fun too; leave all the excess distractions behind you.

Actually sleep

Whether this means waiting to watch Jane the Virgin or The Walking Dead the next day or postponing that problem set until the morning, sleep is essential and must come first. Sleep is directly related to your health–no one wants to be a zombie in their 8:40. Sleep and be happy. Everything on your To-Do List will be there after 7+ blissful hours of slumber.

Do what makes you happy

If you only want to eat french fries for lunch today, then treat yourself. Drop that class that you can’t stand for one more minute. Consider a career possibility that you’ve always wanted to explore. Make little steps toward the dream you’ve always had but never pursued. Go out with your friends instead of starting hour three of taking notes. Sing loudly in the communal showers.

These five steps are my superpowers against the pessimistic, evil social triangle.

Never doubt that like Liz Lemon, you too can have the boyfriend, the career, and the sandwich!

Sydney Hotz

Columbia Barnard

Sydney is in love with New York City, dogspotting, and chorizo tacos. She's an aspiring novelist, a Barnard feminist, and might deny she was born in New Jersey.