How to Be A Flawless Freshman: Senioritis Came Too Soon

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

The diagnosis is in — I have what is commonly known as “senioritis.” This disease can be debilitating and serious if not treated properly. Not only can it harm you, but it is highly contagious. Symptoms include procrastination, lack of feeling responsibility, more procrastination and doing basically anything else besides for work. Commonly developed by seniors, senioritis may ensure that you never again look at work.

I know what you’re thinking — is it even possible for a first year student to contract such a condition? It is a question that I, too, have wondered for a few weeks now. But it seems that this ailment knows no bounds. It is not ageist; it simply preys on all who are vulnerable.

My vulnerability stems from the following factors: I was fortunate enough to take a gap year after high school. I was also fortunate enough to be accepted to Barnard early decision. So, if you do the math, I have not cared about my school work for over a year and a half. That’s a long time. I’m used to freedom, a lack of responsibilities, and am definitely not used to work. When an end of school is in sight — which finals period does indicate — I am programmed to stop caring. It’s in my nature.

And, when I hear finals season, I think failing season. There just seems as if there’s no way I could come out of this week unscathed, as in there’s no way I can pass all my classes. I feel as if that must be statically or scientifically or whatever it is, impossible.

And yet, I persevere! It is late and I am tired. I feel as if I haven’t slept in days, nay weeks, nay months. My body is slowly breaking down, but it must remain strong for these next few weeks!

But, even as I do sit down to work, it is sprinkled with walks, conversations, Facebook check ups, more Facebook check ups, Twitter check ins (I don’t even have a Twitter but, trust me, it’s still necessary). It’s rare that I go for more than five minutes straight without checking a device. It’s a real problem and I blame it all on senioritis.

Thankfully, treatment is available. These are a few tools I have gathered to help me stay focused and overcome senioritis:

1. Work with a friend, but make sure this is helpful, bot harmful. That’s key. Use each other for peer pressure to do work.

2. This website has great ways to make sure you stay off harmful sites such as Facebook and tumblrs about cats (check it out once, then block it).

3. Make sure you’re properly fed and rested. No good work will come out of a hungry, exhausted mind. It’s not worth it. Breaks are ok.

Save yourself from senioritis. It can be done. I wish you all so much luck and enjoy break (which can also bring along its own problems and stresses.) 

I can write better than you can eat a cactus.