How to Be a Flawless Freshman: Midterm Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

It’s midterm season. Even the mere sight of the word makes my palms sweat and my heart race. It makes me both inexplicably awake and utterly exhausted.

The sole purpose of this word, I am sure of it, is to eradicate the happiness from every student. This word feeds off the stressed student who, after hours of studying, is exhausted, worn out, and wholly disheartened. It derives its pleasure from physical and mental sicknesses; it must be conquered.

At the current moment, I should be studying for three of these said midterms and writing two papers, all whilst attempting to get a decent amount of sleep. Oh, and not to mention trying to avoid getting sick in the midst of it all. Though everyone around me has suddenly come down with the flu, I do not have time for sneezes and tissues.

I should be studying right now, not writing blogs. But I need a break, and so do you.

You. I see you. The one working so hard that your hair is beginning to fall out. You, who can’t remember the last time you got a decent amount of sleep. I beg you, put down the calculator, computer, pen — whatever it is. You need a break. You’re still in your first semester of college, remember? You are not expected to step fresh off the high school boat, jump into the chaotic world of college, and somehow excel in everything you pursue. Nobody is expecting you to do that. And, even though it might look like everyone else around you has it under control, it’s not true. We are all suffering through the loads of information, problem sets, biology labs, and seemingly endless amounts of essays. It is overwhelming, but it is conquerable. And we all feel the pain. Believe me.

We have only been through two months of college. This time is still part of our adjustment period. So now, on top of the homesickness and friendship-seekingness that comes with every new beginning, the work is really seeping in — and it is daunting.

I am constantly procrastinating, preferring to stare at a speck on my wall — and not just stare, but also fully analyze, examine, and discuss — over opening my notebook. And when I do finally get around to cracking open the pages and pages of information that I somehow managed to accumulate, I am faced with a whole other set of hardships — having to read and understand it all. 

One relaxation method that has worked for me has been putting on my earphones and effectively shutting everything out — not just noises, but thoughts as well — with the sound of my favorite songs on full volume. And I mean FULL volume. I have also taken up yoga — highly recommended. (And here I will put in a plug for MCAC’s Wellness Committee, which has programs for staying well and healthy at Barnard. Make sure to keep an eye out for them!)

If this blog does not apply to you at all, then kudos to you. Seriously though, please contact me and teach me your ways.

But, for I think the majority of you, some of what I said here here rings true for you as well. The best thing I can say is a sincere good luck and please make sure to eat, breathe, relax and sleep.

I can write better than you can eat a cactus.