This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

According to Dictionary.com, the term hat head is a “Part of Speech: n. Definition: hair that is flattened out, disarranged, or full of static electricity from the wearing of a hat; also called hat hair …” Unsightly “hat head” is unavoidable during winter when the wearing of a hat becomes a necessity instead of a fashion statement.

However, it is possible to accessorize with hats in a way that is both cute and practical.

Why not choose a hat that is so stylish that you’ll want to leave it on and make it part of your ensemble? If you are looking to keep your ears warm, ditch the ear flapped trapper in favor of a stylish beanie. Go for a thick knit in either wool or cashmere. A more luxurious fur funnel (real or faux) will also look chic and keep your ears warm. These stretchy fur headbands are versatile and can cover your entire head or it can become a simple headband if you fold it down into a narrow width. Another option is a beret in a soft felted material. Pull it down over your ears for maximum warmth or set it at a jaunty angle atop your head if it is not too chilly outside.
You might want to go for the vintage look a la Blair Waldorf and try a roaring twenties style cloche.

Any of these choices will accessorize your winter look beautifully. With the right headwear choice, it is possible to look so pulled-together that you won’t want to remove your hat inside and “hat hair” will become irrelevant. We all know that Barnard girls “wear many hats” so they might as well be fashionable instead of frumpy!

Giselle Boresta

Columbia Barnard

Giselle, Class of 2014 at Barnard College, is an Economics major with a minor in French. She was born in New York City, grew up in Ridgewood, NJ, and is excited to be back in her true hometown of New York City. She likes the Jersey Shore (the actual beach, not the show) and seeing something crazy in New York every day!