Got Pink?: Marla’s Story and October’s Must-Have Products

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

October 1st marked the beginning of Breast Cancer Awareness Month, a month dedicated to a cause that is remembered year-round by many individuals. According to USA Today, 80 percent of polled individuals personally know someone that has had breast cancer. As collegiettes™, while our peers are (mostly) breast cancer free, we are no less affected by this disease. It is the unfortunate reality that most of us have witnessed someone in our lives battle breast cancer. Our mothers, grandmothers, sisters, aunts, cousins, friends, co-workers, and so many others have fought this battle, which—believe me—is far from over.

My mom, Joan Lipsyc, was diagnosed with breast cancer at the age of thirty-four, when I was just eight years old. I remember the disease pretty vividly. Mostly, I remember I was angry.I was angry that Mom couldn’t tuck me into bed. I was angry that she had been in the hospital instead of at my girl scout meetings. I was angry that I didn’t know what chemotherapy was, and I was angrier once I did—once I knew that the most valuable thing in the world could leave me at any moment.

My mom is still the most important person in my life, and I am so incredibly grateful to the doctors, nurses, researchers, family, friends, and organizations that supported her and helped her be alive today. These are the people and the medical advances that both allowed her to move me into college with my Vera Bradley Breast-Cancer-Awareness-printed laptop case and to walk 60 miles with me every summer in the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer 3-Day walk with my pink New Balance sneakers.

As you can imagine, the disease has left my mom’s body, but it certainly has not left my mind, my passion, my schoolwork, or my closet. Every pre-med course I finish, every cancer cell I kill in the laboratory, and every breast cancer awareness product I buy reminds me that there IS something I can do about this seemingly all-powerful disease. I am driven to find daily ways that I can make a difference in the fight against breast cancer.
So how do we do it? Oh, there are so many fun ways! My mom and I raise over $5000 annually for the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer for the Cure foundation by walking 60 miles in 3 days every summer. My friends and family walk 5 miles with me every year in the Making Strides Against Breast Cancer Walk in Central Park (October 16, 2011 this year). Visually, my friends show support too—they pin a pink ribbon on their Longchamps in honor of my mom and those they know who have both survived and lost their battles with breast cancer. Any way you think of it, you really can make a difference!

In honor of Breast Cancer Awareness Month, I—and anyone else who has been affected by breast cancer—ask you to do two easy things:
1.The very most important thing: Know what breast cancer looks and feels like. Here is an easy way to check yourself for Breast Cancer!
2. Do ONE thing to make a difference in the fight against breast cancer. Not only is this empowering and important, but it can also be a lot of fun!
One of the easiest ways to make a difference this month is by doing something we girls do best: shopping! Since my mom’s diagnosis, there have become so many products available for purchase that benefit breast cancer research. And some of them are just so cute, you can’t say no to helping a good cause! I want to share with you some of the most fun ways to make a difference this month. Don’t get me wrong—the best way to make a big difference is to donate money directly to breast cancer awareness and research foundations—such as the Susan G. Komen Foundation, The Breast Cancer Research Foundation, Avon Foundation for Women, and others—but if you will be shopping anyways, you might as well shop for a cure! So here are some of my favorites; do good and have fun!

My Favorites: Head to Toe and On-the- Go

1.)  Shades and Solutions: These Ralph Lauren Sunglasses from their “Pink Pony Collection” are fashionable and philanthropic! Buy these sunglasses, a preppy polo, or even a cute tote bag from Ralph Lauren’s Pink Pony Collection from now through October 10th to save 25% while donating 10% to the Pink Pony Fund for cancer care and prevention.

2.)  Emi-Jay Hair Ties: Keep your head up and your hair back with these fun and unique hair ties! 25% of purchases from‘Cure BonBon’ hair ties will go to the Susan G. Komen Foundation.

a.    Shiseido ‘Shimmering Rouge—Breast Cancer Awareness’ Lip Color : This rich lip color will give you an instant feel-good-moment—in more than one way! Buy this product during Breast Cancer Awareness month and Shiseido will donate 20% of the purchase to the Cancer and Careers Organization.

b.    Betsey Johnson Breast Cancer Awareness Pink Heart & Beads Bracelet: This flirty and feminine bracelet fights like a woman; profits from Betsey’s Breast Cancer Awareness Collection support Fashion Targets Breast Cancer (FTBC).

3.)  Tops:
a.    Don’t have to GUESS how you can help! GUESS by Marciano “I <3 Cure” Tee: This cute tee will feel good inside and out! Best part about it? 100% of the proceeds are donated to Susan G. Komen for the Cure!

b.  
For your guy: Guys can fight breast cancer too! Get this “Real Men Wear Pink” shirt for your boyfriend, father, brother, or friend so they can support a cure along with you! 25% of proceeds go to the Susan G. Komen Foundation!

4.)  Shoes:
a.   
Fergie Shoes: Whether or not Fergie’s your fave, these glittery pink heels will stomp out breast cancer! Fergie Footwear and Brown Shoe Company are donating $20,000 to Komen in honor of the shoe’s launch.

b.    Hunter ‘Original Tall’ High Gloss Rain Boot: It’s raining, it’s pouring, the scientists aren’t snoring! Wear these adorable limited-edition Hunter boots to donate to the Susan G. Komen Foundation.

5.)  Breast Cancer Crusade Novelty Umbrella: Kiss cancer goodbye with this lip-printed, lightweight umbrella. 100 % of profits for the product ($6.86) is donated to the Avon Breast Cancer Crusade.

6.)  OPI Nail Polish 2011 BCA Pink of Hearts : Polish away breast cancer with this stylish Pink Shatter nail polish designed especially for breast cancer awareness month. OPI will make a donation of $25,000 to Komen for the Cure from purchases of this product.

7.)  Magnolia Cupcakes: Eating for a cure—right here in NYC! Piece of cake! Magnolia Cupcakes is celebrating Breast Cancer Awareness Month with a Pink Ribbon Cupcake. 50 cents of your yummy purchase will be donated to the Breast Cancer Research Foundation.

Pink products are everywhere this month! Water bottles, chapsticks, and even pink potato chips are available for sale, all for the purpose of ending breast cancer forever! So do your part and get pink!

Giselle Boresta

Columbia Barnard

Giselle, Class of 2014 at Barnard College, is an Economics major with a minor in French. She was born in New York City, grew up in Ridgewood, NJ, and is excited to be back in her true hometown of New York City. She likes the Jersey Shore (the actual beach, not the show) and seeing something crazy in New York every day!