Eye For DIY: The Late Late Winter Circle Scarf

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

*homemade with TLC*

So it’s that time of the year again, when you’re caught between winter and spring and are desperately searching your Barnard IKEA closet for something to keep you decently warm but looking hot. Your first thoughts might be – Forever 21, Times Square anyone? But looking around you see everyone’s heads behind books and the smell of midterms just around the corner. Then you think – oh, online shopping! But the second your blood pressure spikes with a new email from a professor about a deadline.

What to do, what to do…

KNIT.

Yes, knit!!! While this grandma-friendly pasttime might not be for everyone, (and believe me, I didn’t think it was my schtick either) it’s both a way to work something new into your monochromatic city wardrobe on a small budget and a stress-reliever from all of the hustle and bustle in your daily Barnard routine. The benefits are proven by psychologists and physicians alike – knitting is a self-soothing tactic that you can bring anywhere. The added benefit is that, before you know it, you have something new to wear that hardly cost a dime and you can actually say, “I made this myself”!

For beginners, I suggest a one-round infinity scarf, that’s both chic and won’t take more than a few days to finish. Scarves like these are lightweight, soft, and incredibly versatile, so you can wear it during these last few days of winter and into the early weeks of spring with a cute jean or army jacket. Neutral colors can serve you well – your once-in-a-lifetime knit just might turn out to be an everyday wear!

I chose Alpaca wool in the color “thunderstorm”, a light whitish-gray that goes with just about anything and keeps me feeling free. To get supplies, take a short trip to Yarntopia on Amsterdam Avenue between 107th and 108th – the staff is hip, smart, and knows their knits. From there, check out the free Knitting for Dummies online guide to begin your basic cable knit. From there, put it all in your bag (Longchamp, of course), head off to class, the library, the dining hall, the steps – wherever — and start stitching to your hearts content!

Process Time: ~1 week to knit

Cable Knitting for Dummies: http://www.dummies.com/how-to/…

Emily Harris

Columbia Barnard

Alexandra Shapiro

Columbia Barnard

Alexandra is a Senior at Barnard majoring in American Studies. While she isn't planning the week's pitches for Her Campus Barnard, she can be found checking her horoscope, listening to college acapella videos, decorating her room with Paris-themed accessories, or trying to imitate Charlotte from Sex and the City. She also loves self-improvement, Indian food, the Kennedys, traveling, and laughing at her brother and sister's jokes. She is spending this semester interning in MTV's Marketing department.