Dressing Ourselves This Holiday Season-Not Just the Turkey or the Tree

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

With Thanksgiving mere days away, the holiday season is barreling down upon us like a freight train.
Depending upon your priorities, your first thoughts may be, “Ugh…final exams,” or “Aaah…twinkle lights!”   This fashionista’s thoughts go straight to my closet (and then to my stomach).
Here’s my version of “Holiday Word Association” and what each holiday means to me. Your holidays might be quite different, but everyone’s holidays have a few things in common.

Thanksgiving means HOME and home means comfort and a huge dinner. This could mean a soft and faded pair of jeans and a well-worn sweatshirt. But it’s a special day and that calls for special attire, as do all of the holidays coming up.
Thanksgiving…think elegant but comfortable garments that stretch with your tummy after umpteen courses of delicious homemade feast foods. This could include any or all of the following: leggings with stretch lycra with an oversized top, a loose caftan-y style dress, a soft cashmere/wool blend sweater (perfect to take a catnap in after a big dinner) or a  wide-legged trouser that will allow you to hoist your feet up onto the nearest ottoman to watch football. “Jewel” tones/autumnal colors are perfect for this holiday. If you are traveling over the river and through the woods to Grandmother’s house, stay warm in a down puffer or warm wrap sweater. So as not to forget the true meaning of the day, burn some calories by going through your closet and making a pile of give-aways for those less fortunate. Let’s face it, it’s not all going to fit into your pathetic little dorm closet when you go back to campus anyway.

Hanukah…The Festival of Lights demands that you wear something light.  And festive. Good bets for Hanukah dinners and parties; anything blue and/or white/and/or silver. Once again, be mindful of how your clothing will feel after several potato latkes laden with sour cream and applesauce.

Christmas…Tradition calls for the reindeer sweater knitted by Great-Aunt Susan but you can still keep the holiday mood without squirming in the itchy thing all day. Depending on your plans, you can choose from a cheery red sweater or a top with some sparkly metallic threads. I love anything plaid for this time of year if worn in moderation! And if you are lounging around catching up with relatives, ditch the sweat pants and keep it festive with leggings and a warm cozy sweater.

New Year’s Eve …Okay, people, it’s time to pull out all the stops. Personally, I like to sparkle on this night. Sequins, pailettes, beads, anything goes! This is a night to over-dress and be proud of it. Pile on the jewelry, squeeze into  stilettos and go big or go home early.

So if “holiday dressing” means more to you than what the turkey is stuffed with, dress up as befits the season and have a great holiday!

Giselle Boresta

Columbia Barnard

Giselle, Class of 2014 at Barnard College, is an Economics major with a minor in French. She was born in New York City, grew up in Ridgewood, NJ, and is excited to be back in her true hometown of New York City. She likes the Jersey Shore (the actual beach, not the show) and seeing something crazy in New York every day!