Life > Academics

Double Majoring at Columbia: Pros & Cons

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

Double majoring may seem like an awesome way to broaden your horizons and skillset, and perhaps your job prospects, but have you ever stopped to think about the price tag that comes with it? 

When you’re rocking a single major, you’ve got the golden ticket to enroll in all those electives taught by renowned professors. You have plenty of space in your schedule, so it’s not much of a burden to check off a bunch of requirements outside your major. But as soon as you decide to take the double major plunge, you’ll have to roll up your sleeves and slog through mediocre classes that are required for both your majors.

Let’s not forget about the time crunch: double majoring means you’ve got to juggle your studies, job-hunting, and extracurricular activities. While having two majors is definitely a demonstration of your capabilities and possession of  knowledge in two different fields, the marginal benefits might not be worth the stress.

Double majors can provide a well-rounded education and the opportunity to explore diverse interests, but if you’re considering one, you need to ask yourself why you’re going for that double major in the first place. Is it because you’re dreaming of crafting mind-blowing, cross-disciplinary research projects? Or maybe you’ve got your sights set on snagging those multi-talented job positions? Consider whether a double major would help you achieve those goals — maybe a minor or a concentration could do the trick instead! If your goal is simply to broaden your understanding of another discipline, you might even opt for auditing courses and listen to an erudite professor’s beautiful words without burning out by the exhaustion of major/minor commitment.

Having expertise in two areas might make you more competitive in the job market, especially majors that are more technical. However, if you wish to work in something like marketing, you wouldn’t need to complete another humanities major to make you more competent for the role. Simply taking a few targeted courses within or outside of the school, such as on Coursera, could give you the same benefits. This can prove more cost-effective than trudging through hardcore major requirements.

The pressure of going to Columbia and Barnard often creates a false mindset that if we aren’t pursuing our interests through relevant majors or minors, we aren’t seriously interested in them – which is simply not true. X is juggling 6 clubs, Y has aced three research projects, and Z is petitioning to go over 19 credits – none of these mean you have to do more, more, and more to be as “successful” as all of them. There’s a treasure trove of ways to channel your passions and interests that extend far beyond a second major: regular volunteering, keeping a creative writing journal, signing up for theater rehearsals – just to name a few. Check out all the posters and ins stories around campus to explore opportunities aligning with your interests and gain some hands-on skills!

College should not merely be about stockpiling majors and credits. It’s a grand adventure of exploring your passions, honing fresh skills, and uncovering distinctive ways to leave your mark on the vibrant Columbia/Barnard community. While double majoring is certainly one path, there’s a vast array of trails waiting to be blazed. Discovering your unique route to thrive here is what truly counts.

There shouldn’t be a one-size-fits-all metric to gauge our dedication to our passions. Instead, focus on what you envision yourself doing in the years following graduation. Then, dedicate your time, whether individually or in the classroom setting, to align with that vision. The format matters less than you yourself growing at your preferred pace. College should not merely be about stockpiling majors and credits. While double majoring is certainly one path, there’s a vast array of trails waiting to be blazed. Discovering your unique route to thrive here is what truly counts.

Of course, rigorous studies in two disciplines would be beneficial for pursuing interdisciplinary post-graduate enterprises such as interdisciplinary research, or data/computational journalism. In such cases, go for the other major that would equip you with the skills to work at the intersection of fields. Just remember that taking on another major is beyond just having fun and following your passions (which is important, don’t get me wrong). Before signing up for classes for another major anticipating the pride of that double major tag appearing on transcript and diploma, deliberate over the extra efforts you’ll need for that double major and how much you might be missing out on because of it. It’s all about finding that balance!

Julie Chow

Columbia Barnard '25

Juile Chow is a student at Barnard College studying English and Creative Writing. She's a big fan of art museums, audiobooks, MOBA games, and Karaoke. She is passionate about writing popular fiction and wishes to complete a monumental young adult autofiction before she's 30.