Decoding A Guy’s Body Language

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

On a Thursday night, you’re out at Mel’s or Campo (wishful thinking) and so psyched to kick off the weekend. Now that there is a short break between midterms and finals it is the perfect time to find a guy to end your dry spell that is the result of too many hours spent in Butler. But how do you know if that cutie at the other end of the bar is thinking the same thing you’re thinking?  His body language can give you a hint, and I can tell you how to speak it.

1.     The Casual Hook-Up Guy
You can always tell if a guy is looking for something temporary if his upper body is faced towards the crowd and away from you while you chat.  By keeping his chest and shoulders open to everyone, he makes himself approachable and available.  Even though he’s talking to you, his body is constantly surveying the scene and keeping a tab on any other options he sees. 

2.     The Relationship Guy
You can tell if a guy is into you by his smile.  If you’re talking to a guy and he is giving you big, toothy smiles, you can be sure that you’ve got him hooked.  When guys smile with their teeth it means they are being genuine. Guys who grin or smirk are usually being more flirtatious, or seductive.  If a guy is more interested in being real with you than being flirty, chances are he is looking for something that will last longer than the night.

3.     The Drunk Guy
There is a fine line between flirtation and blacked out sexual aggression.  If a guy is being super touchy with you (partly using you to steady himself as he tries not to fall over), he is probably really drunk rather than really into you.  Even though you’re hot and everyone totally wants to run their hands all over you, guys who are actually interested will usually refrain due to fear of being perceived as sketchy or creepy.  Guys who are inebriated beyond the capacity for normal social interactions lose this ability to discriminate between what is and is not socially acceptable…namely, they have fewer qualms about grabbing your ass.

4.     The Shy Guy
Sometimes it might seem like a guy isn’t into you when really he is just insecure (Barnard girls can be pretty intimidating with how awesome they are).  Guys who are shy often stand with their toes pointed towards each other and slightly hunched over.  If the cutie you’re talking to has this stance, don’t brush him off; he might be really cool after he opens up. 

5.     The Cocky Guy
As women know too well, there is a big difference between confidence and cockiness.  A confident guy often stands with his legs apart and pelvis slightly forward, an aggressive stance that is learned from pure instinct.  A cocky guy will usually stand this way but with his hands constantly hanging on his belt buckle or adjusting his waistband, anything to get your attention directed towards his…unmentionables. This type thinks that to get you back to his room all he needs to do is put the thought in your mind and that there is no chance you will refuse.

As you scout for men keep these hints in mind.  You don’t want to try and have a random hook up with Mr. Shy & Sensitive and you don’t want to start a serious relationship with the guy who can’t stop staring at other girls.  As long as you know what you are looking for, you can use these tips to find someone else who wants the same thing.

Giselle Boresta

Columbia Barnard

Giselle, Class of 2014 at Barnard College, is an Economics major with a minor in French. She was born in New York City, grew up in Ridgewood, NJ, and is excited to be back in her true hometown of New York City. She likes the Jersey Shore (the actual beach, not the show) and seeing something crazy in New York every day!