Campus Celebrity: HCB Welcomes Brooke Abbott and Demme Durrett

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.
To kick off this semester’s first edition of Campus Celebrity, meet the two newest members of Her Campus Barnard’s editorial staff, Brooke Abbott and Demme Durrett.

PR Manager: Brooke Abbott

Year: Junior

School: Barnard College

Major: Psychology

Hometown: Greenwich, CT

What did you do over the break?

Skate, skate, and skate! Also, I saw and caught up with friends and family.

Favorite 2016 Golden Globe gown?

Well, I loved so many of them, but I particularly could not stop looking at Cate Blanchett’s gown. Fringe and a backless dress are my weaknesses. Also, Cate is so classy and elegant that anything she wears looks amazing.What celebrity would you want to play you in a movie about your life?

Brie Larson. She’s funny and witty. I like to think my life could be entertaining to someone, so I’d like an actor like her to play me. Best vacation spot?

My family and I always go to Hawaii, so it is like a second home. It’s the exact opposite of Greenwich. Plus, I love to be at the beach.Why did you want to join the Her Campus Barnard team?

I wanted to dedicate my time to an organization on campus that works hard to cultivate interesting content.What are you looking forward to this coming semester?

Working hard to have fun, doing my work, and prioritizing self-care.

Assitant Blog Editor: Demme Durrett

Year: Freshman

School: Barnard

Major: Political Science (subject to change) 

Hometown: Houston (proud Texan!)

Favorite thing you did over break?

I spent some much-needed vacation time with my family on a cruise to the Caribbean. I’m very close with my grandparents, so it was lovely to be able to have some fun with them for a week. As awesome as that was, my absolute favorite thing this break was dining at Joel Robuchon’s three Michelin starred eponymous restaurant in Las Vegas. I’m a complete foodie and let me just say that this meal was unforgettable. 

Anyone you’re rooting for in the upcoming Oscars?

Leo. I mean, come on. 

Who would you want to play your love interest in a movie about your life?

Chace Crawford

Why did you want to join the Her Campus Barnard team?

I actually started looking at Her Campus Barnard when I was still a prospie. I loved that it gave a fun and true sense of the Barnard that I wanted to be a part of.  Now that I actually attend the school, I want to create that same fun and lighthearted content that gives a laugh to a prospie or a current student alike. I can’t wait to be a part of the team! 

What are you dying to do this semester?

Attend the Met Ball. While I can’t get in as an actual attendee yet, I am insanely pumped to get close to the action and see all of the incredible gowns up close. (Or as close as you can get!)

Lily Morris

Columbia Barnard