The Best of New York’s Holiday Window Displays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.
Holiday gift shopping can be daunting at times, especially when you’re in New York City.  It’s a feast for your senses. Walking through Midtown is like exploring a fairyland: it’s all about lights, glitter, and color. Want to fill up your Instagram profile with love and sparkle from the holiday season? There are definitely a few windows that will keep you staring. Here are some of my must ‘stop-and-take-a-picture’ windows.  Keep an eye out next time you’re walking around the city!

1) Bergdorf Goodman
Swarovski, glitz, glamour – it’s got it all! Rumor has it that more than seven million Swarovski crystals were used to create this year’s displays, with every window displaying a completely unique crystalline theme. Running low on those creative juices? Go get some artistic inspiration! You’ll probably have to hustle around the huge crowds waiting to take pictures to get a decent look, but it’ll be worth it!

2) Bloomingdales
Fancy the Big Brown Bag and everything you could put inside it? Well, it’s time for the Big Brown Bear in all that glitters and more! It’s all so adorable; I’d take the bear home if I could!

3) Henri Bendel 
Clearly New York is the land of B’s – Bergdorf, Bloomies, Bendel’s (Barnard, maybe?). Definitely not as huge, but worth a look…and a photograph! This display will make you want to go inside and ‘shop till you drop,’ though being a college student doesn’t really help with that.

4) Lord & Taylor
Okay, I have to admit that I haven’t seen this one just yet, but just looking through pictures on Instagram and Tumblr is making me want to stop writing this article and go right there! (We all know what I’m doing next weekend, don’t we?) Not only is the display drop dead gorgeous, but L&T also partners with Habitat for Humanity NYC for the 78th consecutive display. These animated displays are the like the date we’re all looking for: gorgeous and caring at the same time.

5) Saks Fifth Avenue
Speaking of department stores, you definitely cannot miss this one! Saks has filled its windows with wintry versions of some of the world’s greatest natural and man-made wonders—an icy Colosseum, a snowy Great Wall of China, a frozen Great Barrier Reef (complete with a very cold mermaid). Plus, the store has a front façade that has been converted into a crystal palace! (Now you know why I said it was fairytale land.) Just waiting for Prince Charming to show up as I shop!

While you’re at it, don’t miss the Harry Winston building on Fifth Avenue; it’s a diamond in itself. Also, make sure to wait up for the Tiffany & Co. window, which will be unveiled on December 13th.

In New York City, there’s no place that hasn’t been infused with a little holiday cheer, so remember to take your camera wherever you go!