burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Best and Worst Trends of 2015

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

As 2015 draws to a close, it’s now time to procrastinate for our finals by reviewing the best and worst of the year. Let’s start with some of our favorite and least favorite fashion trends from the year!

Best Trends of 2015:

Suede

A touchable and fuzzy fabric that’s a few steps up from the corduroy of our childhood, suede is an easy way to add a schoolgirl vibe to your look, or even a southwestern touch if you want as well. Another way to combine two great trends is with suede over the knee boots!

Statement Necklaces
Especially with the holidays coming up, this is an amazing trend to embrace if you’re looking for a new way to spice up more basic or casual outfits. My favorite place to get statement necklaces (or any other statement jewelry) is BaubleBar.com. They know what they’re doing, especially with collaborations with Julia Hengel of GalMeetsGlam.com and Olivia Palermo!

Over the Knee Boots
The best way to look sleek and make your legs appear 1000 miles long is over the knee boots. Slip them on with a dress, jeans, leggings or anything at all and you’ve just revved up your outfit. They’re a total statement piece, yet still both long-lasting and right on trend in 2015.

Worst Trends of 2015:

Mismatched Earrings
This is a trend I saw more on runways than in reality, and for good reason. This is unhappily reminiscent of elementary school, when I’d wear two different earrings to be quirky and just ended up looking sloppy.

Gingham
This trend should really stay in Little House on the Prairie. Gingham can be worn well at times, but considering that we’ve reached December and we’re still holding on to a summery and old-timey trend, it’s time to let go.

Ponchos
This is another trend that just reminds me of the early 2000s, but not in a good way. If Blake Lively can’t pull it off, it’s a sign we should just retire the whole thing. I’m all for cozy and comfort, but blanket scarves work just as well as ponchos, and they’re way more versatile!