Becoming Santa Claus: One gift at a time

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

Unless you’ve been hiding under a rock, you are probably fully aware that the holiday shopping season kicked off with a bang (at about 3:30 am) on Black Friday.  Unfortunately, you’re also gearing up for final exam season and wondering how you are going to stay awake long enough after the sun sets at 4:30 p.m. to actually study for and ace your final exams.  We get it. You’re feeling pretty devoid of inspiration after turning over 45 pages of writing in two weeks. And by the time you’ve survived the finals fiesta, it’s nearly impossible to think of meaningful gifts for everyone on your list.  But don’t worry; if you follow this gift -giving guide, you won’t be a Grinch this year, rather a celebrated Santa.

For Mom:

This gift has the potential to be the most meaningful, but might be the most difficult in practice.  The good news is, you get help!  Ask each member of your family to make a scrapbook page with a few pictures of themselves with mom, and write a short message on their page somewhere telling her how much you love her and how much she means to you.  Then, collect the pages from everyone before Christmas day, and decorate them festively, maybe adding a few extra pages centered around memorable family moments.  Then, compile all the pages into a scrapbook and voila!  Mom’s crying because you made her holidays all the more special. 

For Dad:  There’s an App for that.  Gadgets, gadgets, gadgets.  Dads love the shiny, new tech items that debut on the market for the holidays.  An engraved case for one of his favorite devices in his favorite color is bound to win dad over.  If your dad isn’t such a tech geek, there are other options.  For the more gourmet father, a subscription to a beer/wine/cheese of the month club is a thoughtful and delicious gift that keeps on giving, and your dad will know you’ve made an effort to think about his interests.

For your Brother:  If he doesn’t already have Halo 4 or Call of Duty: Black Ops then look no further, your job is done (provided he has a gaming console, of course).  If he doesn’t have a gaming system or already has those two games, get him two tickets to a concert or cheap seats to a sporting event he might be interested in.  He’ll like his present so much more if he can go watch something he loves, with a friend! 

For your Sister:  If you’re not ready to officially give her that great skirt she’s been “borrowing” since you were 16, don’t worry.  Some other fun ideas could be a cute keychain or clutch from Kate Spade or Coach, taking her for a makeover, or a pretty journal, or a great book and some gourmet chocolate.  If you would like to receive it, odds are- she will too!

For your Friends:  I’m a huge fan of going to Dylan’s Candy Bar and making little painter’s cans full of customized candy for each of my closest friends.  It’s fairly budget friendly at $12 a can, and everybody loves Dylan’s and Christmas themed candy!

With all of these great gift ideas, you’re sure to make everyone on your list happy.  And, if you put cookies out on Christmas Eve, make sure to treat yourself to a few – you’ve earned it, Santa! 

Toby Milstein

Columbia Barnard

Hi my name is Toby Milstein and I'm a student at Barnard College at Columbia University!