Barnard’s Best (Non-Library) Study Spots for Finals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

You’re in your room, sitting at your desk, desperately staring at a semester’s worth of notes, when you notice that your beautifully strung lights look a little droopy. And now your NYC skyline poster looks somewhat crooked. Maybe you could paint your nails? Before you know it, your Netflix account magically opens up on your laptop and you find yourself waking up a few hours later next to a box of oreos and a stack of neglected books staring at you from the floor. And if you’re like me, you would rather be tied down and forced to read hours worth of Jaden Smith’s tweets, than step foot inside the crowed and anxiety-ridden library. So what’s a girl to do during finals week? Luckily, I can think of a few more Barnard study spot options to make these next few days manageable! 

1. The Altschul Atrium

This study spot not only provides a more relaxing atmosphere, with its television and comfy couches, but it’s also rarely ever crowed and provides a beautiful view of the campus from its spacious windows, especially if you’re there at night.

2. Lewis Parlor 

This study space is without a doubt one of the most beautiful rooms on campus. Located on the first floor of Brooks Hall, it’s easily accessible, especially to first-year students and it’s open 24-7, which is perfect for all-night study sessions. 

3. The Diana Center Reading Room

Located on the third floor of the Diana Center, this reading room is is both comfortable and relaxing. It provides an incredible view of campus and its bright design is bound to keep you energized during study time. 

4. Sulzberger Hall Lobby

This may seem like a strange place to study, but this area is usually realitively empty and cozy. It is the perfect spot to go to if you’re looking for a more relaxed atomsphere, as people will constantly be coming and going. It also contains a large television when you decide you need a break. 

5. Diana Center LL:

The Lower Level of the Diana center is usually quiet and calm. This study spot is located right next to the Glicker-Milstein Theatre and contains comfortable chairs, colorful tables, and outlets for your laptop and phone chargers. It is also located only a few stairs away from LL2, where you can find more cushioned chairs, couches, and a television. 

6. Liz’s Place 

Definitely my favorite, Liz’s Place is a perfect study spot at any time of the year. It has comfortable couches and chairs, coffee, tea, cookies, muffins, you name it. Plus, it’s open relatively late on weekdays: 8am-2am on Monday through Thursday. Use up those points before the semester is over! 

Quinn Fagan

Columbia Barnard

Liana Gergely

Columbia Barnard