This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

For this week, I’m not going to focus on all the wonderful intellectual things I have experienced so far at Barnard as a transfer student. No, this week I’m going to talk about how fashionable we are as a community. Seriously, I don’t know if I have ever been on a more interestingly and eclectically stunning campus.
Everyone I walk by as I dart from class to class (undoubtedly looking like a complete mess) is remarkably fashionable and pulled together. Tell me, how in the midst of mid-term madness, how can so many of the Barnard women look like they just walked off the runway? How is that even possible? I’m not here to rail against the university I transferred from, but I can’t help but compare it to Barnard. The most popular clothes at my old school were of the exercise variety. The most regularly worn shoes were designed for runners. Fashion was not the priority. And I’m not saying that fashion is the priority at Barnard either. We are all clearly very intellectually refined, and too busy to focus our efforts on such a superficial thing as fashion… Right? I don’t know, but I think clothes are fun (and shoes are even better!). Fashion is a form of expression, and do the Barnard women know how to express themselves. I’m obsessed with the frequency with which blue hair, pink lips, funky earrings and wild shoes are paraded around campus. Barnard is clearly full of women who are not afraid to be themselves. I can’t tell you how refreshing Barnard has been so far. 

Giselle Boresta

Columbia Barnard

Giselle, Class of 2014 at Barnard College, is an Economics major with a minor in French. She was born in New York City, grew up in Ridgewood, NJ, and is excited to be back in her true hometown of New York City. She likes the Jersey Shore (the actual beach, not the show) and seeing something crazy in New York every day!