The Art of Relationships: Valentines Day–Dress to Impress

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

This article is a little bit raunchier in the spirit of Valentines Day. Cover Cupid’s cute little putti ears because we are about to get real about some serious ways to live up to V-Day sex expectations. There is a lot of pressure to put Valentines Day as the single most important day for love – it can get a little stressful and stress is not sexy. To lighten your load I have supplied you all with some very clever, creative, inexpensive and sure-to-please ideas for the boudoir. Try putting aside your “I respect myself way too much as a woman to do that”- attitude for just one night and enjoy this opportunity to live into your sexuality. Dressing up for your significant other can be a lot of fun (especially once you see his or her reaction!).

1. Schoolgirl: A Classic. Like I said, let’s all try to store away our moral superiority for a minute and enjoy how sexy this costume can be! Schoolgirl, in addition to just being hot, is really easy! Just throw on a short skirt, knee high socks, a button down and a tie – viola you’re transformed. If you have glasses feel free to include those as well, and while you’re at it, put your hair into pigtails in order to really play up the part. It may seem completely over the top to you, but trust me, your partner will appreciate it. Just remember to keep your character and you’re sure to receive a gold star for your work.

2. French Maid: For this one you really just need a small apron and a feather duster if you can find one. The apron doesn’t have to be white but the duster does have to be clean. Nothing less sexy than an allergy attack in bed. Trés mauvais. If you want to put the apron on top of a black outfit, go for it, but I would just rock the apron (sans undies) and a lacy black bra. Ooh-la-la indeed.

3. Librarian: This will probably be the only time you will ever have fun wearing that blazer you bought for job interviews. This costume is really easy and fun since, as the disciplinary figure in the role-play, you get to have all the power and shush your S.O. whenever you want. What you’ll need: A blazer (no bra or top), tight skirt, heels and glasses (if available). Put your hair in a tight French twist and carry a book (preferably a sexy one … no Hemingway please).

4. Surprise attack: This is less of a costume than just a way to shock your lover on V-Day. Only things you need are a long coat, some sexy underwear/lingerie and killer heels. Show up unannounced (but when you know your intended audience member is alone) and drop the coat for a big reveal as soon as you can. The key to pulling this off is confidence. You can’t hesitate or be shy— trust me, they will love it. The spontaneity alone is sexy as hell. Add you half naked and it’s the perfect recipe for one heck of an evening.

I realize that all of these are over the top and ridiculous but that is what Valentines Day is for. It is one day out of the year during which those of us who are lucky enough to be in love are allowed to take full advantage of it. Make this the year you shock your boyfriend or girlfriend and leave ‘em speechless. Confidence is key. That, and some good red lipstick!