Life > High School

Applied to Accepted: College Application Advice from a Columbia University Freshman

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

One year ago, I submitted my first college application. A few days later, my second application. And a day later, my third one. I spent the next few months deeply and inextricably immersed in the all-too-familiar world that is the Common App. I knew going into my senior year that I would be entering the season of college applications, but I never anticipated how daunting and tiresome it would be. Alongside the pressure to produce the “perfect” college application, I also had to have an academically successful year, participate in extracurriculars, maintain a social life, spend time with my family, and write killer essays. It’s a lot. And if you are reading this, and feeling any bit of what I have just described, I understand the feeling completely. But now sitting at my desk as a freshman at Barnard College of Columbia University, reaching the other side of the (extremely) long rainbow, I undoubtedly wish there were things I realized sooner or was told while I was writing my applications and choosing between colleges that may have made things certainly less stressful. 

CHASE OPPORTUNITIES, NOT NAMES 

I remember vividly at the precipice of the summer before my senior year when our guidance counselor told everyone to begin researching colleges and everyone’s first instinct was to list the top 20 universities on QS World University Rankings. Now don’t get me wrong, these universities are PHENOMENAL, and if you intend to apply there, that is amazing! But those are not the only universities that exist, there are so many more that are amazing as well. College rankings consist of multiple criteria but those may not necessarily be relevant to you. When you are searching for universities, you need to be looking at their academic programs, and the opportunities they provide in your intended major. You need to be looking at its professors, location, student spirit, and so many other factors. Ranking should not be one of them, because you may miss out on a university that is perfect for YOU and your diverse set of interests. It is easy to get caught up in the name-charged atmosphere, where if you are not applying to the top university, it somehow diminishes your worth. I am here to tell you, it does not. Every single university has something brilliant to offer, so keep an open mind and take advantage of the vast array of universities in this country and the world. 

FOCUS ON YOURSELF, AND ONLY YOURSELF

Applying to college is stressful, and what certainly added to my stress is the inescapable competitiveness of it all. You are going to be seeing students on the debate team, doing research, Model UN, theater, math club, honors society, student council, and so on. Students will be applying to X University, and Y College and intending to study abroad in Z country. There is a high chance you’re going to look at the other students, and then look at yourself and say “I gotta do all of this because if they’re doing it, I should be doing it.” Erase that mindset immediately. Just because someone else is doing it does not mean you need to. At the end of the day, you need to always be yourself. Is it corny? Yes. But is it true? Also yes. I promise you, if there are at least two of you coming in with an identical application, the college is not going to be impressed. The right school will appreciate YOUR individuality. Pretending to be someone you’re not will only harm you.

Maybe you might admire the way someone has planned out their senior year, and are inspired, but trying to replicate their schedule is not going to work. Again, just because it may work for them does not guarantee it will work for you and that is completely okay. To this day, it shocks people that I got into an Ivy League without taking any standardized test. I was grateful for the choice to not submit it, despite the fact I saw my classmates taking it throughout my junior and senior year. I didn’t think it was the right fit for me because I didn’t feel that test scores were an apt measurement of my capability. I knew what worked for me, and you know what works for you, so focus on yourself, and only yourself.

BREAK DOWN THE PROCESS INTO STEPS AND ORGANIZE YOURSELF

I acknowledged at the very beginning that there is a lot to the application process, and your plate will feel like it is piling up if you do not take a minute to break things down. Trying to take it on all at once would be overwhelming, and that stress could eventually diminish the quality of your work. So, take a few moments to plan out your work and identify what is top priority, what can be multi-tasked, when the deadlines are for your application, and what your workload is looking like for your senior year. If you are like me in any way, you may arduously plan out everything to a T and one tiny interference can make it feel like the whole world is crashing down on you. You will be okay! Things sometimes don’t go according to plan, but it is always good to have one in place because it ensures you do not forget something. If you are generally not a planner and don’t know where to start, that is okay too. Take a deep breath and look at the application one part at a time. Maybe you can start with your Common App essay or the supplemental essays. Also, remember to always seek help from people in your trusted circle! Whether it is your counselor, your teachers, family, or friends, find someone who you can confide in and rely on for their support. 

THINGS WILL WORK OUT THE WAY THEY ARE MEANT TO BE

Another corny line, but it is true. I started this article by telling you it’s been one year since my first college application. That was my Early Decision, and I didn’t get in. But that was okay. Of course, I felt a little upset about the situation, but I realized it was not the end of the process. There’s a reason why it’s called college application season because it takes time and you can submit many applications. I promise you one thing: you will get in. There is at least one university that recognizes your capabilities and your potential. Maybe it might be your top choice or it may be your safety. But there is a place for you, so take the acceptances, rejections, and even the waitlists with a pinch of salt. Know that things are unfolding the way they are meant to be, and at the end of it all, YOU get to choose the place where you see yourself thriving.

The college application is stressful — trust me, I know. There’s really no way to avoid that stress, but there’s always an opportunity to redirect your energy towards self-improvement and confidence.

Ria Dalal

Columbia Barnard '27

Ria Dalal is an aspiring English major at Barnard College of Columbia University. She is a big fan of all things writing, frequently indulging in creative storytelling, essay-writing, investigative journalism, and of course, magazine writing. She is passionate about international politics and literary criticism, and always seeks the opportunity to uplift the strong women in her community, and capture the bicultural identity through her work.