Anna’s Advice for Exams

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

Now that finals season has official began, I thought I would offer you guys some of my tried and true methods for staying sane during the craziest part of the semester. With the promise of home on the horizon, we all need to just keep calm for a few more days, take our final exams, throw away all our over-worked papers and get the heck out of here. Just a few more days, ladies, we can do it. This is what I use to make sure I get through the week without pulling all my hair out, frightening my roommates or curling up in a ball and crying myself to sleep (all things I’m ashamed to admit have happened to yours truly during past finals weeks).

Work out! I know it may seem like you don’t have an hour or two to spare to get to the gym or take a brisk walk with a friend but I promise you, spending some time exercising your body and not your brain will really help you in the long run (pun intended). Even if you just go for half an hour, working out is a great way to get the blood pumping and insure that your brain gets all the oxygen it needs to sustain the week-from-hell. Plus, going for a short jog may help burn some of those calories we’re all consuming late at night while we’re up cramming or writing a paper. Late night snacking is a no-no but it is almost inevitable during finals week. Don’t beat yourself up when it happens, just get your butt to the gym or take advantage of Riverside Park. Whatever you do, just get moving at least once a day, it will help.

Get your rest. It’s really important to sleep during finals. I know you might think that if you stay up just a few hours later or get up at the crack of dawn you’ll be able to get more studying in and therefore do better, but the truth is, nothing is better for your brilliant brain than sleep. Everyone needs at least 6 good hours of sleep (most people say 8 but I understand that’s not going to happen, so I’ll go with 6). Beyond being a blessed relief for your eyes and hands, sleep provides a critical rejuvenation period for your memory. If you’re all strung out on coffee and haven’t slept in days, there is very little chance you’re going to ace your exams. Most likely what will happen is that you’ll forget everything you’ve crammed into that head of yours as soon as you’re handed your blue book or you’ll fall asleep during the exam (it does happen). 

Listen to relaxing music while you study. Try something without words so you don’t get distracted and start singing along. YouTube has some really great playlists of classical and instrumental music that are hours long. Just plug in and get to work, the time will fly and you’ll probably end up being really productive. Plus, it’s super relaxing and has been shown to calm anxiety.

Avoid the libraries, especially Butler. This is a personal thing but I have found that a lot of people agree with me when I say that the big libraries on campus are just too crazy during finals. Surrounding yourself with people who are that stressed out will only encourage your own stress levels to skyrocket. Find a quiet and warm place away from the madness to get your work done, you may find that it’s a lot easier to focus. And for god’s sake don’t live in the libraries. No one wants to see you washing your hair in the Butler bathroom. Go home, sleep in your own bed and take a SHOWER!

This one is the most cliché but that doesn’t mean it isn’t sound advice. Eat a good breakfast/lunch the day of your exam. You don’t want to be sitting in your test room unable to focus because your stomach is grumbling too loudly. By the day of your test you’ve done all you can do so get some yummy (and nutritious – no toaster strudels for breakfast please) food and go kick that exam’s butt!

Giselle Boresta

Columbia Barnard

Giselle, Class of 2014 at Barnard College, is an Economics major with a minor in French. She was born in New York City, grew up in Ridgewood, NJ, and is excited to be back in her true hometown of New York City. She likes the Jersey Shore (the actual beach, not the show) and seeing something crazy in New York every day!