Life > Experiences

A Tale of Two Cities: Lima or New York, Which One Is Better?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

Change is hard, and sometimes, we are reluctant to do it. Deciding to leave my home in Lima, Perú and move 3,648 miles to New York City, a place so strange to me, was something I never expected to do. As I make myself at home here, I cannot stop myself from comparing every single aspect of it with my homeland. So, without further ado, here are the top 3 differences I have found in my time here:

Food

It is true: there are thousands of restaurants in NYC, from all over the world and with food to satisfy every single palate. However, if we exclusively talk about the “typical” New York food, we only have pizza and bagels (among others) left. On the other hand, and I swear I am not biased, Peruvian cuisine is infinite and unbeatable. Having been named best cuisine in the world more than once and consistently being placed in the top 5, it is no wonder why my expectations are sky-high. Do you like meat? We have Lomo Saltado. Do you like fish? We have Ceviche. Do you like chicken? We have Aji de Gallina. And let’s not get started with desserts and typical drinks, from Mazamorra Morada to Churros and Inka Kola to Chicha Morada, Peruvian food will always leave you wanting more. Also, let’s not forget about the prices! Oh my god, the prices! I am a broke college student on a very tight budget — please, be merciful, New York. With 3 dollars in Lima, I can eat a tasty and generously sized two-course meal of typical Peruvian food, with an appetizer, a main dish, and drink! 

People and Streets

Coming from a Latin American country, I am utterly shocked to see that people in the streets just do not care about each other. I am not going to deny it, I think that is fascinating – the freedom of doing whatever you want to do without any judgment whatsoever. In NYC, no two people are the same. In Lima, on the other hand, there is no way that could actually happen. We care too much. You fall down? You will find 5 pairs of hands willing to help you. You are sitting waiting for the bus to come? We will start a conversation with you. You are dressed in the most extravagant dress? Unfortunately, we will watch you. But, above all, in Lima, we will make you feel welcomed and at home. While, and I hate to admit this, we don’t have the New York cosmopolitan feeling in Lima, we do have people that will always give you a smile whether you are feeling happy or you are shedding a thousand tears on the streets. 

Weather

I only have 1 thing to say: New York weather is crazy. When I first arrived here in August, the weather was so hot I thought I was going to faint almost all the time. The sun burning your skin, sweat streaming down your face, and trying hard to breathe through the mask (by the way, wear your masks, everyone!). In October, most of the days are rather cold, but one day next, magically the sun decides to appear and you have to rethink what you’re wearing. I like to think it’s like a game — you never know what you’re going to get (and wear) next. The sudden rainstorms add to the unpredictability, and I have to say I am tired of guessing already.

In Lima, it’s much easier. We only have two seasons: winter and summer. During summer, which lasts approximately 3 and a half months, it is hot. However, it is not NYC hot – it’s bearable. During winter, it’s cold. Again, not NYC cold. In Lima, there’s no snow, and winter is NYC’s fall. Temperatures are moderate and, to be honest, what’s not perfect about that?

Even though Lima and New York are literally two completely different places, they both have a piece of my heart (different sizes each, but still). I swear I am not biased (!!), but even though NYC is the dream city for many, my heart has another city name written on it.