9 Things The 90s Taught Us

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

Even though these days we all love to dance to house music and dubstep, there isn’t too much wisdom to be gleaned from the repetitive beats unless you speak Transformers language. But let’s face it; the best songs that actually have words and helped to shape our generation came out in the ‘90s. So what did they teach us during our most transformative years?

1. Boys who hang out the “passenger side of their best friend’s ride” don’t get no love. 

As the lovely ladies of TLC told us in their #1 hit “No Scrubs”, we should not be hanging out with guys that think they are too cool for school, because nobody is. Especially guys that have to be driven around by their friends because they don’t have a car. This song teaches us that we need to be with men who are just as successful and impressive as we are, because we deserve the best and shouldn’t settle for scrubs.
(Song Source No Scrubs, TLC)

2. Guys “like big butts, and they cannot lie”

Although I don’t typically think of Sir-Mix-A-Lot as a gentlemen advocating for the importance of positive body image among young women, that’s pretty much exactly what he does in his 1992 classic, “Baby Got Back.” The Sir reminds us that all body types are beautiful and that there is no need for women to try to enhance themselves with weight loss or plastic surgery, because, after all, “silicon parts are made for toys.”
(Song Source: I Like Big Butts, Sir-Mix- A- Lot)

3. “Don’t let ‘em hold you down, reach for the stars” 

Biggie always offers words of wisdom, because who can’t relate to a giant black guy who grew up in the hood and then started wearing a jewel encrusted crown? Nobody! But really, Biggie understands real struggle and tells us how you can achieve anything no matter what kinds of disadvantages you face.
(Song Source: Juicy by Notorious B.I.G)

4. Isn’t it “ironic” that you get a free ride when you’ve already paid?

Yes, it is, Alanis Morissette, especially when I’ve already swiped my MetroCard and some lady with a stroller waltzes through the emergency exit door without paying. This song doesn’t so much give advice as it validates how awful you feel when things just don’t work out the way they are supposed to. And it tells you that it’s okay and that it happens to everyone and you should just embrace the rain on your wedding day. (Song Source: Ironic by Alanis Morissette)

5. “Let go your heart, let go your head, and feel it now.”

In his hit song “Babylon,” David Grey reminds us that sometimes we over think things. If you can’t find the solution to your problems just let it go and you’ll eventually feel out the right thing to do. Maybe if I just stop worrying about my midterms I’ll be able to feel the information from my textbooks?
(Song Source: Babylon, David Grey)

6. Live “la vida loca!”

The lessons in this song are simple and straightforward. If you’re a little nuts you will probably end up sleeping with someone who looks like Ricky Martin. In light of more recent revelation about Ricky’s character, we now know that it probably won’t be Ricky Martin himself.
(Song Source: Livin’ La Vida Loca, Ricky Martin)

7. Even if you “run” and “hide” and are “scared of someone,” it probably just means you’re in love with them.

Even though Britney’s more recent life decisions have been on the more questionable side of the rational-psycho scale, in 1999 she knew what she was talking about. In her #1 hit song “Sometimes” Brit reminds us that even if we’re scared to make a commitment to someone, all we really want is to “hold them tight and treat them right day and night”, so we should just take things slow and give it a shot.
(Song Source: Sometimes, Britney Spears)

8. “If you want to be my lover, you’ve got to get with my friends.”

Hoes before bros, ladies! Friendship never ends! Unless of course you have awful friends and you finally start dating an amazing guy who hates them and helps you to realize how much they suck. But each and every one of the Spice Girls is clearly awesome so any guy that doesn’t want to be friends with them is clearly not boyfriend material. David Beckham obviously took this wise advice.
(Song Source: Wannabe, Spice Girls)

9. “You’ll never know if you don’t go, you’ll never shine if you don’t glow.”

Smash Mouth advises us to let go of our inhibitions and shoot for the stars in their hit “All Star”. They remind us that if you never try, you’ll never succeed, so you have to put yourself out there. And do it soon, because “the years start coming and they don’t stop coming”, and soon it will be too late.
(Song Source: Allstar, Smash Mouth)

Toby Milstein

Columbia Barnard

Hi my name is Toby Milstein and I'm a student at Barnard College at Columbia University!