8 Reasons ‘Schitt’s Creek’ is the Best Show on TV Right Now

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

Warning: The following article contains mild spoilers for Schitt’s Creek. Proceed with caution!

Schitt’s Creek is all the rage these days. It is nearly impossible to scroll through Facebook without seeing a post like “Every single wig Moira Rose has worn” or to walk through Diana without someone humming “A Little Bit Alexis”. (Maybe I’m exaggerating, but I have been the hummer, so I’m sure there are others.) Laptop stickers saying “Ew, David!” are popping up in every library, and people love trying out their best Moira accent. 

Is the show worth all this hype? Absolutely. We have compiled eight reasons why it’s a must-watch.

Each season is better than the last.

How often can it be said that a show, especially a sitcom, improves with every season? (Glee, which tanked completely after season three, I’m looking at you.) Thankfully, Schitt’s Creek ages like a fine Herb Ertlinger fruit wine. I will admit, I struggled to see the appeal of the show when I watched the first few episodes. The characters seemed overly quirky, and the premise did not appear sustainable. However, I found that as the Roses adjusted to their new surroundings, so did I. I came to appreciate Roland’s off-the-mark assumptions, Ted’s frequent puns, and of course, “Ew, David!”

It’s hilarious in the best cringey way.

I never realized I even liked cringey-funny until I watched this show. At first, all I could think was “Oh my god, I just want to shield my eyes from this,” but it’s the best type of humor ever. Each character has their own cringey type of funny that gets better with each episode. Moira, the mother of the family, has an accent that I cannot for the life of me figure out — I’m pretty sure it’s not real. She also says some ~interesting~ phrases that you don’t normally hear, such as “You do realize the bebe is crying? Isn’t it scheduled to be dormant by now?” and her use of SAT-level vocabulary in her everyday conversations. Her daughter, Alexis, constantly says “Ew, David!” to her brother David, and you’ve definitely seen merch with that phrase all over Instagram. David’s sass channels the inner bratty teenager in all of this, between his head movements, hand gestures, and tone of his voice. Stevie’s sarcasm is all of us when we have to be social, and her serious tone while being the most sarcastic person ever will have you rolling over laughing.

Homophobia just doesn’t exist.

Most fans of the show know that Schitt’s Creek’s omission of homophobia from the show’s universe was — and continues to be — a conscious choice on the part of co-creator and star Dan Levy. Levy points out that “[Coming out is] not a cross that straight people have to bear,” and therefore, the show’s queer characters deserve a space to exist authentically without the need to proclaim or defend their identity. 

The show brushes up against homophobia in season five, when Patrick is accidentally outed to his parents. With a shaky voice, he tells David: “I know my parents are good people. I just … I can’t shake this fear […] that this could change everything.” The viewer echoes Patrick’s fears, wondering if this is the moment in which the illusion of acceptance within Schitt’s Creek shatters. Of course, Patrick’s parents immediately accept him, and wish he had told them sooner. This episode cements the show’s promise to never let its characters — or its viewers — suffer.

We can all identify ourselves in each of the characters.

The characters, as crazy as they are, are all so relatable. I personally identify with Alexis’ princess vibes, David’s sass, and Stevie’s sarcasm. These are a few of the personalities that appear in the show:

Spoiled princess, but lowkey a hardworking and ambitious boss: Alexis

Sassy and sarcastic to hide emotions, but actually the sweetest person: David

Hates everyone but is actually really caring: Stevie

Clueless dad trying to make everyone get along: Johnny

The character growth is perfectly paced.

Even with six seasons of growth, we would not expect any of the Roses to completely stop being high-maintenance, shallow, and selfish; Levy does not expect this either. Instead, the characters grow into truer versions of themselves, still shaped by their opulent past but more honest, humble, and benevolent. Alexis, emotionally unavailable and flighty, admits to Ted that she loves him and agrees to relocate to the Galapagos Islands so he can live his dream. David, though still headstrong, regularly exits his comfort zone for Patrick, notably when he embarks on a hiking trip-turned-proposal.

It’ll make you believe in love again.

In this day and age, it’s like who is even genuine anymore? We’re constantly seeing our favorite celebrity couples break up, and if you’re like me it can make you lose hope in love. These couples, however, will definitely melt your cold heart and make you want to redownload Hinge. I can’t tell you which people end up together lest I spoil the show for you, so you’ll just have to trust me that these couples make the show worth watching.

It’s inspiring (in its own way, of course).

Few would expect to feel inspired by a once very wealthy family salvaging their lives after losing everything; this aspect of the show clearly reflects Dan Levy’s masterful storytelling. Moments in the later seasons highlight the characters’ growth into truer, more mature versions of themselves, reminding viewers of what is possible in their own lives. When Stevie belts out her solo in Cabaret, I remember how shy I was when I started college. I could not imagine as a freshman doing half the things I do now, just as Stevie never would have pictured herself starring in a musical in season one. (Full disclosure: I still tear up when I watch Kurt Hummel sing “Being Alive”, so clearly I am a sucker for musical numbers as a form of character development.)

More generally, Schitt’s Creek is at its most inspiring when the Roses achieve what may seem like basic things. In her late twenties, Alexis graduates high school. Many people may not wish to celebrate this achievement, but the Roses do. Similarly, the family is deeply proud of David when he starts his job at the Blouse Barn, and when he eventually opens his own store. Schitt’s Creek is so special because it celebrates every milestone in the characters’ lives. The show has taught me to value everything I achieve, even things that the people around me have also done (which at a place like Columbia, is quite a lot).

There’s a huge emphasis on unlikely friendships.

Something I really love about this show is that it focuses on friendships just as much, if not more, than romantic relationships. I think this is something that many shows miss out on, assuming that the audience is only concerned with who will end up together. Not only does this show really focus on friendships, but it proves that special circumstances can turn anyone into friends. As the Roses are surrounded by these small town genuine people, they become more down to earth and start to bond with them.

David and Stevie — David is sassy and used to living large, while Stevie is down to earth constantly entertained by David’s lavish notions about life. At first, the two cannot get along for anything — as time goes on with them being stuck together, however, they become extremely close. Probably the most unlikely friendship throughout the series, they continue to lovingly tease and abuse each other while always being there for the hard times.

Johnny and Stevie — John becomes like a father figure to Stevie, and it’ll make you go “awwwwww”. John starts off as being nothing but a nuisance to Stevie who is used to quietly doing her job without anyone annoying her. Once the family moves in, however, Stevie’s life changes and John is always asking her for something it seems. I won’t spoil anything, but this pair will have you believing in found family.

Moira and Jocelyn — These two are complete opposites. Moira is extravagant and flamboyant, while Jocelyn is a teacher from this small town used to living a small town life. Although they begin with Jocelyn constantly confused at Moira’s antics, being stuck together allows them to find more similarities than differences. Even though Moira’s lavish flamboyance never diminishes, Jocelyn seems to learn to handle her and the two help each other get through life’s hardships.

If you haven’t gotten the gist already, this show is amazing. It has all the qualities you could possibly want in a sitcom with all the ones you didn’t even know you needed until you watched this show. The character growth is inspiring, and the inclusion of queer romance makes it relatable for many. Even though it deals with serious topics like money, family problems, and being queer, it does so in the most wholesome way possible. It’s also funny as hell, so no matter the issue at hand this is the perfect show to watch if you need a pick-me-up. If you need yet another reason, the episodes are super short (about 20 minutes each), AKA the perfect length for busy college students who tend to binge-watch.

Collier Curran

Columbia Barnard '20

Collier is a senior at Barnard College who enjoys brunch, playing with cats, and yelling at the TV during episodes of the Great British Baking Show. You can pry em dashes out of her cold, dead hands.
Arianna Antigone

Columbia Barnard '22

Arianna is a senior at Barnard College majoring in English and looking toward a career in law. She loves exploring New York City and finding new pasta places. If you need her, you can find her sipping her third iced coffee of the day or defending her love of pasta.