This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

Even though I was born and raised in New England, I have always hated winter. I can count its few redeeming qualities on my hand. One of the many things that I resent about the biting cold and bitter winds of winter is the constant assault on my skin. Even if you’re a Capricorn, Aquarius, or Pisces, I think we can all agree that having your forehead peel off and nose skin flake away is not cute. Sometimes, it’s even itchy and painful. While I’m no expert, I do have a lifetime and many, many YouTube videos and Refinery29 articles under my belt. Here a few of the tips I have found to be most impactful that also won’t break the bank.

1. Find the right moisturizer

This may sound obvious—moisturizing with a product that doesn’t cause breakouts on your face is number one in skin care. But during these trying times of dryness, it’s imperative to find one that provides adequate hydration while not being overly oily. I love the Neutrogena Oil-Free Moisturizer for Sensitive Skin and have been using it for years.

2. Drink water!

Another obvious one, but staying hydrated is what cranberry juice and Coke is to Smirnoff—you just can’t go without it. Not only is water amazing for your skin, providing essential revitalization to your skin during the icy winter months, but the fluids will also boost your immune system. Water is generally one of the best things you can give the temple that is your body. Drink up!

3. Don’t overdo it with the facials

Facials are key  during a night of self-care, but too many can deplete the natural moisture that your skin produces. New York City dermatologist Dr. Simone McKitty explains, “Like most things in life, too much of a good thing can be very bad. You can overdo it by applying too much, using a concentration that is to strong, combining it with aggressive exfoliating treatments like microdermabrasion, chemical peels, or by using too many at one time.” When you’re browsing, try to find facials with acidic concentrations that are lower than 10% and at a final formulation of a pH greater than 3.5.

4. Your living space is important

My freshman roommate bought a humidifier, and it was almost as clutch as the fridge and coffee machine she bought. When you can’t open your window during the icy months of winter, humidifiers help alleviate the stiff and arid air. That is good for your heart and soul, as well as your skin! Other tricks I do is to always make sure I have makeup wipes near me bed so that no matter what time or state I get home in, I’m not further eroding my skin.

5. Pay attention to your beauty products

Finding the right foundation, concealer, and other cosmetics for your skin type can be a taxing journey through Duane Reade, Sephora, and the virtual aisles of Glossier.  If you’re in Intro to Psych, this is the apex of the paradox of choice, but it’s critical to find one that is optimal for you. Head into a beauty or skincare store, if nothing else for them to help you figure out your skin type (combination, normal, dry, oily, and sensitive). Also, watch out for toners with high alcohol content because they can strip the natural oils from your face.

6. Only wash your face one to two times a day

Avoid overwashing your face so that your skin can produce as much of its natural oil as possible. During these winter months, try to take shorter showers with lukewarm water (hot water feels truly transcendent when your eyelashes turn to icicles). The University of Pittsburgh Medical Center explains that “frequent hot showers and baths can lead to dry, itchy skin or even rashes. Cooler or lukewarm showers even just a few times a week can keep skin hydrated and help hair stay strong and shiny. If your skin appears red following your bath or shower, your water is too hot heat can.”

Rosa Munson-Blatt

Columbia Barnard '21

Rosa is a current sophomore studying Women, Gender, and Sexuality Studies with an interest in journalism and cultural studies of health and science. She loves writing and when she's not reporting for Her Campus or other sources, catch her training for the Boston Marathon, listening to a podcast (rushing to class listening to Democracy Now or Modern Love is my #lewk), or exploring the city.