This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

1. Have a bomb playlist

This may seem obvious, but the importance of a great playlist cannot be overstated. Go through your current music collection and pick out the songs that make you smile, the ones that pump adrenaline through your veins, the ones that make you push yourself that little bit harder. In need of suggestions? We have an article for that. I would also recommend throwing in a few holiday hits so you’re reminded of the good times ahead.

2. Plan tasks for each day

I’ve mentioned list-making in a previous article, but I was recently surprised by just how few people actually do this. Sort all of your tasks (including packing, laundry, holiday shopping, etc.) into lists for each day that you will be on campus. It is much easier to stay motivated when you know exactly what to expect from yourself. You also get the added bonus of getting to check things off (or delete them, if you use your phone’s notes like me!) once you complete them.

3. Vary your tasks

While I have a decent attention span (when it comes to schoolwork), I can get bored with one task well before I’ve finished it. I recommend switching up to-dos around every hour or so, also varying the size and intensity of the task you complete. For example, if you’re feeling burned out from your art history paper, spend some time responding to emails or completing a shorter assignment. I tend to try switching tasks when I feel I need a break; while I definitely think breaks are important and necessary, sometimes my brain is bored of the task at hand, but not ready to finish working altogether.

4. Listen to your body

If you plan out your days and stick to a schedule, this step becomes much easier. I find I do my best work when I listen to my body, working hard when my mind is fresh and I’m motivated, and taking it easy when I feel down or fatigued. Being aware of how I’m feeling also means going to bed early if I’m burnt out and knowing when to force myself to work and when to take a step back.

5. Make plans with family or friends

During finals, I can sometimes get distracted thinking about my winter break. Solve this problem by making plans with friends and family at home (or wherever you will be spending break). This way, you’ll have something to look forward to, and you’ll be able to devote your time and energy to studying and paper writing.

Collier Curran

Columbia Barnard '20

Collier is a senior at Barnard College who enjoys brunch, playing with cats, and yelling at the TV during episodes of the Great British Baking Show. You can pry em dashes out of her cold, dead hands.