5 Ways To Love Your Body Before Spring Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

It’s that time of year again – when magazines try to convince you that it’s both healthy and possible to lose all your body fat in the next three hours. Especially in the wake of NEDAwareness Week (National Eating Disorder Awareness Week), this is a good time (though really, any time is a good time) to counter that by asking: Why? What’s wrong with me right now? The answer is: nothing, nothing at all. You are beautiful no matter what size bikini you wear on your Bahaman vacation. But since most magazines won’t tell you that, Her Campus will – here’s some inspiration for how to stay body-positive before, during, and after spring break!

1. Any magazine that tells you to consume nothing but lemon water before you go to the beach just so you can curb bloating has clearly never been to the beach. If you don’t think I’m going to be on my fifth smoothie and second order of some type of fried cabana food by noon then you’re wrong. And even if you aren’t somewhere exotic, you’re still getting the opportunity to not eat in a dining hall. Take advantage of it. Make a cake and eat it too. You’ve been studying so hard for midterms, you deserve it.

2. Spring styles are out! Grab all your friends and make a day out of going to get some new shorts, dresses, bathing suits, what have you. Who better to tell you how hot you look than the people who love you most? And to add to your friends’ support, bring along some fashion inspiration from body-positive style bloggers such as Twee Valley High  or The Print Fiend

3. Take these new clothes and flaunt them! Flaunt them everywhere. Flaunt them on the beach, on the boardwalk, on the ski slopes, in Europe, in your house, with your friends, in front of your dog. Literally everywhere. When you feel good, you look good! (But, you know, you look good anyway.) And everyone else deserves to see how hot you look, too. So strut down the street in that new skirt, girl. (And make sure to take lots of selfies for Instagram.)

4. Remember that weight does not equal health and that there is a difference between a healthy lifestyle and a fad diet. A balanced diet and exercise support body positivity because they both understand that you have to love your body because that’s all you get. Your body is your only one, so you need to take care of it and love yours as much as Matthew McConaughey loves his. But the food pyramid also has sweets on top for a reason – you need them in your diet. Health does not equal depravation. Eat what you want, but also take advantage of the beautiful spring weather to walk around for your exercise. If you’re on campus, make the walk to the real Starbucks over Diana and get your latte with 2% milk. Give yourself strong bones, a strong mind, and a strong body.

5. Remember what spring break is really about no, not that – which is having a break from work and a chance to relax. Pamper yourself with a home spa day, a bubble bath, a walk in the park, and, yes, that extra cookie. Grades stress you out enough the other 15 weeks of the semester; don’t add any unnecessary stress in the one week you’re specifically given not to! Whatever you do, wherever you are, make sure you’re making yourself feel good.

And always remember

Gaby Kirschner

Columbia Barnard

Barnard '16. Writing in NYC.