5 Inspirational Quotes by Women for Women’s History Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

March is Women’s History Month, a time to celebrate the social, political, cultural, and academic achievements of women. It is also a time to reflect on women’s rights and bring attention to gender inequality and violence against women. Here are some meaningful quotes by women who have empowered others. 

“My mother told me to be a lady. And for her, that meant be your own person, be independent.” – Ruth Bader Ginsberg

Starting off the list is a quote from Ruth Bader Ginsberg, the second female justice appointed to the U.S Supreme Court. Even though she passed away, her legacy remains an inspiration for many women all over the world. A woman deserves to be herself and to make decisions for herself, rather than being dependent on men in society. 

“I raise up my voice—not so I can shout but so that those without a voice can be heard… We cannot succeed when half of us are held back.” – Malala Yousafzai

As the youngest Nobel Prize laureate, Malala is a role model for many young girls given her fight for education for women and against injustice around the world. Even though she was young when she became a Nobel Prize laureate, Malala shows that everyone can make a difference no matter what age and background they come from. 

“Think like a queen. A queen is not afraid to fail. Failure is another stepping stone to greatness.” – Oprah Winfrey

Sometimes I feel I am afraid of failing – whether it’s receiving a bad grade, or doing something wrong. But just as Oprah Winfrey says, I should treat my failure as a learning opportunity. One reason why I really like Oprah is her daringness and confidence. She never backs away from challenges. Her strength reminds me that if I don’t try something new because of my fear of failing, that is actually failing. 

“There’s power in allowing yourself to be known and heard, in owning your unique story, in using your authentic voice.” – Michelle Obama

As the former First Lady says, having confidence in yourself, to be yourself, is incredibly important. Yet, I have come to realize through my conversations with other women, that there are many of us who hide ourselves for fear that we will be laughed at, called abnormal, or stand out too much. However, I want to keep on improving myself and feel good about who I am, instead of the person everyone else wants me to be. 

“Women speaking up for themselves and for those around them is the strongest force we have to change the world.” – Melinda Gates

A successful businesswoman and philanthropist, Melinda Gates’ words speak about the importance of unity and changing the world. It seems hard to imagine that one hundred years ago in America, women could not vote. Now, even though there are still persisting gender inequalities, women have shown that they can do what men can. Changes don’t always come voluntarily, but as long as we keep pushing forward, one day it will happen.

I hope you have enjoyed these quotes from empowering women. On that note, happy Women’s History Month! 

Lily Cai

Columbia Barnard '23

Lily is a sophomore at Barnard College, intending to double major in economics and computer science. Apart from school, she loves trying out new food and cuisines. She also enjoys listening to music, reading books, and watching Netflix. Lily would love to meet new people and feel free to reach out to her!