5 Fun Things to Do with Your Girlfriends in the Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

As we kiss the sun goodbye and welcome in the smoky, chilly  of fall we must also abandon the lighthearted days of tanning and iced mochas on the Butler lawns. That’s right women, fall is in the air and it smells twice as fun as summer. Here’s some ideas to get you thinking about some Fall frolics if you’re having a hard time tucking your Ray Bans and bikini in their drawers for the winter.

1. The Old School Sleepover 

Sure, I know, it’s college, and every night is technically a sleepover. But I’m talking old school 90s sleepover. Get your non-roommate friends over for a night of gossip and sleeping bags that would make your 13 year old self squeal with delight. As the nights turn chillier and you just can’t bring yourself to put on your little black dress (which gives little warmth!) and head downtown, call it a night in. Footie pajamas, popcorn, no makeup, hot chocolate, and if you’re me, a cozy night with all 8 seasons of Full House (aka John Stamos on John Stamos on John Stamos). You’ll be well rested and spend much more meaningful time with your friends than expected.

2. The Themed Supper

Pick a theme, and have everyone make or bring a dish relevant to it. A few ideas include the “Grill me a Cheese” party (various takes on gourmet grilled cheese), the “Let’s Fly Away,” theme (A ton of wings and various homemade dipping sauces), or if you’re adventurous, “Around the World” (where everyone is a continent and brings a dish inspired by that continent). Dinner around the table is a great way to promote bonding, and nobody will feel hungry.

3. Jack-O-Lantern Carving

It seems stupid, but can be so much fun. Definitely don’t wear your new BCBG vest to this as it’s bound to be a mess. Fairly self explanatory: knives, pumpkins, newspapers, candles, and faces. Just make sure that they don’t rot anywhere near you.

4. The Country Weekend

Hiking seems like something only lumberjacks do, but it can be GREAT fun and a great form of exercise! Take a three day weekend with your friends, and use your “going out” money for the weekend to go somewhere and just experience all the true colors and winds of fall in the Catskills or near the Delaware Water Gap in New Jersey. It seems far and far fetched, but a weekend in a more rural setting and a trip to the true outdoors can be extremely revitalizing. Plus, you can get some great exercise and even do campfire inspired things with your friends!

5. The Fall Photoshoot

Every season comes with unique sights, sounds, and aromas in New York City. Get a bunch of friends together on a Sunday, go to the High Line, the Village, or Brooklyn, and do a photo shoot with friends and fun fall fashions (alliteration!). Not only will you have a great time getting dressed up, you’ll also explore the city and have a roll of great pictures when it’s all over to keep the memories of the day alive.

Toby Milstein

Columbia Barnard

Hi my name is Toby Milstein and I'm a student at Barnard College at Columbia University!