This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

I am not a morning person. Like really, I’m not. However, I’ve been waking up at 5:30 almost every day this semester for practice. It’s been about a month now, and I’ve learned I can gain a lot from adding a little structure to my mornings — it sets up my whole day for success. My typical routine right now is practice, workout, shower, get ready, have breakfast, chat with friends (virtually), then get started with my classes. Your routine could look totally different from mine, and that’s okay! The important thing is to just have a routine you follow, so you can reap the following benefits.

A sense of normalcy

I struggled a bit with the adjustment to college. Everything was new and different, and my day didn’t have any structure! Creating a set routine helped me find my rhythm and get back into the swing of academia and athletics.

A better sleep schedule

When I consistently wake up around the same time every day, I find myself getting tired around the same time each night. Having a consistent sleep schedule means I get sick less, and I am able to let my body recuperate from the day’s stress.

Increased productivity

Once I start my mornings my brain is awakened, and I’m ready to go for the rest of the day. However, if I sleep in and lounge around in the mornings, I’m much less likely to be productive and get my necessary work completed. Waking up a few hours earlier and grinding out some of my homework leaves me with more time in the afternoons and evenings to work on other activities.

Superior time management

Going off points two and three, the more I sleep — and the more productive I am — the better my time management is. Plus, adding a strict schedule to my mornings forces me to plan out the rest of my day. This way, I can get everything accomplished before bedtime, in addition to spending time with friends, of course.

More self-confidence

As I built my morning routine, I made sure to include some time specifically for self-care — for me, that means a workout and spending a bit of time on my makeup. For you, it could mean painting your nails and reading a book — the actual activities aren’t important, just take some time to prioritize yourself! When I take care of myself, I feel much more confident and believe in my abilities to accomplish everything on my list, and then some. It also serves as a bit of a mental check in: how am I doing? Am I stressed out? If so, why — How can I resolve that? Being in touch with your mental headspace will also improve your productivity, and it can be so simple to do. Try to take a bit of time for yourself every morning.

I hope you are also able to discover these benefits and many more when you create your morning routine! Best of luck with midterms!

Katie Ryan

Columbia Barnard '24

Katie is an incoming first year at Columbia College. She's a coxswain for the men's heavyweight crew team and spends her free time working out, volunteering, and reading. Katie is planning to double major in English & Comparative Literature and Human Rights, specializing in Economics.