sarah gualtieri 9CApNIkRXRI unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sarah gualtieri 9CApNIkRXRI unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

13 Best *Female Friendly* Halloween Costumes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

Halloween is my favorite holiday. But, I’m very particular when it comes to my costume. No, you will not find me in the barren Ricky’s basement picking out a bagged, lice-infested ‘sexy cop’ costume that probably hasn’t moved from the shelf since 2002. No, I need that perfect blend of attractive, homemade, culturally relevant, non-offensive, quirky, and somewhat obscure, but not so obscure that when I walk into a party, everyone looks at me like I’m insane—and not Halloween insane, just insane. Seriously, that blend shouldn’t be SO hard to find right?

So, in the Barnard spirit, here are just a few female-friendly costumes that you can do with your friends, or fly solo. Most are inspired by TV and Movies, but what do you want from me? I’m a film minor.

ORANGE IS THE NEW BLACK

TIP: DON’T pull a Julianne Hough on this one.

Rosie the Riveter:

Seriously, can you get more Barnard than this?

Annoying Coachella Stereotypes

Go raid Brandy Melville. Done.

KATNISS EVERDEEN

Just find a Gale (or a Peeta…I guess) to complete your costume.

The Blondes

Blondie, Edie Sedgwick, or Twiggy are all really easy and super cool to do…if you have blonde hair. Otherwise, you’re just an idiot in an itchy wig.

Angela Chase

Guys, before she played the wreck Carrie Mathison, Claire Danes played a different wreck named Angela Chase on My So Called Life. Throw on a scrunchie, some overalls, and a flannel shirt around your waist and you’ve got that obscure, quirky costume that you need. 90’s grunge-chic also works for a good costume—doesn’t have to be Angela Chase specific.

Olivia Pope

Ok this isn’t the best idea to wear to a frat party or a bar. You do NOT want to be spilling on your pristine white coat. But, if you’re going to a classy AF party, then dress up as this new millennium gladiator. Don’t forget the red wine.

Twin Emojis

Grab your best friend and head to american apparel. Note: This does not account for bad weather conditions. 

GIRLS

Yes, I know you’ve had 3 other years to do this. BUT, this year you can get it right. Caveat: Costume participants MUST stay together al all times in order to prevent a Halloween disaster (aka looking like you didn’t even want to dress up).

Janelle Monae

Arguably the coolest one on here.

American Horror Story: Coven

If you’re gonna go classic Halloween, update your witch costume and take a glamorous note from American Horror Story: Coven. No pointy hats allowed.

Queen Bey

Bey’s visual album that dropped last year has provided us with INFINITE Beyonce costume opportunities. It’s just about choosing the right one. Drunk in Love? #Flawless? Partition? Too many choices.

Debora Spar

The Varsity Show did it last year. Why can’t you? Grab your signed copy of Wonder Woman, which we all know that you have and get going. 

Rachel Bernstein

Columbia Barnard