10 Things Before 10 a.m.: How Mornings Should Really Unfold

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

We’re nearing the end of a (slightly warmer) winter weekend, and the fear of Monday morning will suddenly hit as the sun goes down tomorrow. As seasoned experts in anticipating the moods, feelings, pace and sense of fragility associated with midterms, we thought we’d give you a list of incentives to start the upcoming days earlier (and not so you can study more!) Whether or not you have regular commitments before 10 a.m., make sure to reset your alarm ASAP in order to take advantage of the following:

1. Coffee/tea by the window facing a skyline of more shades of blue than you can count

2. 3 news headlines from your favorite paper or blog to really look into the story behind…

3. The chance to reflect on all sides of an ongoing problem, coming up with a new perspective before other people are awake to convince you otherwise

4. The irrational pleasure one gets from sorting shoes and clothes by color, occasion, purpose, etc.

5. Creating a list of people you need to, but haven’t been keeping in touch with

6. Actually picking out an outfit that reflects your funky cool personality, rather than grabbing for the sweatshirt and jeans at the top of the pile (We’re guilty of that one!)

7. Walking to Starbucks to get your latte before the lines get crazy and smile at all the cute elderly people who naturally wake up at the crack of dawn and walk their dogs around Riverside park 

8. Making your bed. With more time in the morning you’re actually more likely to make your bed which will make getting in it 12 hours later that much more delicious. 

9. An early morning workout! As the temps start to rise, a run by the river seems even more appealing. Especially with the fresh crisp morning air around you and Britney on your earphones 

10. The ability to accomplish SO much. If you’re up by 8, you’ll have done a ton by lunch time, leaving you the rest of the day to enjoy life!

Liana Gergely

Columbia Barnard

Alexandra Shapiro

Columbia Barnard

Alexandra is a Senior at Barnard majoring in American Studies. While she isn't planning the week's pitches for Her Campus Barnard, she can be found checking her horoscope, listening to college acapella videos, decorating her room with Paris-themed accessories, or trying to imitate Charlotte from Sex and the City. She also loves self-improvement, Indian food, the Kennedys, traveling, and laughing at her brother and sister's jokes. She is spending this semester interning in MTV's Marketing department.