This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colgate chapter.

It’s almost time to pull out winter essentials! I try to hold off on wearing my winter jacket until after Thanksgiving, so right now is the perfect time to do some online shopping for all the layers we will need soon. Going to school at Colgate, where it’s winter for most of the year, it is crucial to have cute winter clothes. When I am not in sweats and completely bundled, I tend to wear these things to have more of an elevated look!

• Black Boots

These are an absolute staple. Whether they are tall boots or short booties, they are a great addition to most winter outfits. I love to wear my tall boots with a black mini skirt and a long jacket for a more fashionable look. I wear my short booties with jeans and a sweater for a balanced fit. Trust me, there is a reason that everyone at Colgate seems to have these.

• Ear Muffs

These are my favorite addition to any winter outfit. Walking around outside when it’s freezing really hurts your ears after a while, but wearing a hat is such a commitment because of the inevitable hat hair. Ear muffs solve both of these problems by being cute and easy to wear.

• Anything Fluffy

This is more of a general idea than a specific item, but I love wearing anything soft and fluffy. Sweaters, fluffy jackets, socks, etc. My favorite fluffy item is my Urban Outfitters oversized sherpa. It’s pretty much a blanket with sleeves, which is perfect for a cute and comfy look to wear to class.

• Mini Ugg Boots

These are my favorite things to wear when I am going for a comfy look. All Uggs are comfortable, but the minis are so adorable and trendy. They literally feel like slippers but are even better than slippers because they are acceptable to wear in public.

• A Good Winter Jacket

This is the most important thing to have. You will be wearing this every day for months, so it is a great thing to invest in. The most popular ones at Colgate are Aritzia Super Puffs or Canada Goose jackets, but there are so many other great and affordable options that can make you stand out. My favorites are my long jacket from Lands End and my short fluffy jacket from Alo.  

When it comes down to it, prioritizing warmth is what we have to do most of the time thanks to Hamilton’s brutal winters. But just because we have to be covered, it does not necessarily mean we need to wear boring outfits too. Having a few cute staple items in your wardrobe will help you battle this upcoming season with style.

Claire DeMore

Colgate '25

Hi I'm Claire! I'm from Syracuse, NY, I'm a junior and am majoring in Sociology.