why people can’t stop talking about “don’t worry darling”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colgate chapter.

The much anticipated psychological thriller, Don’t Worry Darling, directed by Olivia Wilde and starring Florence Pugh and Harry Styles, has been out for a bit over three weeks. The film grossed $19.3 million at the box office during its opening weekend when it hit theaters on September 23, and was up to about $33 million by October 2, according to Forbes. The film came highly anticipated with its A-list cast, vocal female director, and ominous trailers. However, what is even more intriguing than the film itself is the controversy and behind-the-scenes drama. Keep reading for a timeline of the drama and a short review of the film itself. 

July 2019: The Announcement of Don’t Worry Darling 

The script sparks a bidding war between 18 different studios and streamers. Wilde ultimately goes with New Line over other, more substantial offers because they promise her a release in theaters. Wilde is set to both direct and star in the film.

April 2020: Florence Pugh and Shia LaBeouf are Announced as the Lead Roles

The OG announcement of the cast is released; Pugh is announced as the female lead, with LaBeouf as her co-star. 

September 2020: Harry Styles to be the New Leading Man

It is reported that LaBeouf has left the project due to scheduling issues (but many find this hard to believe).

December 2020: Confirmed that Olivia Wilde fired Shia LaBeouf

It becomes apparent that LaBeouf has been fired over his lawsuit with ex-girlfriend FKA Twigs (born Tahliah Debrett Barnett), and he admits on Jon Bernthal’s Podcast Real Ones that he “hurt” his ex-girlfriend and “many other people before that woman”… to sum it up, yikes.

Wilde later confirms she fired LaBeouf in response to the allegations.

January 2021: Wilde and Styles Dating Rumors Swirl

Wilde and Styles were spotted holding hands while attending a wedding in Montecito, California. A source tells People that they have been dating for a few weeks. 

Feb 2021: Filming Wraps

After filming wraps, Wilde posts a black and white photo of Styles in a vintage car on her Instagram account, praising him:  “Not only did he relish the opportunity to allow for the brilliant @florencepugh to hold center stage as our ‘Alice’, but he infused every scene with a nuanced sense of humanity. He didn’t have to join our circus, but he jumped on board with humility and grace, and blew us away every day with his talent, warmth, and ability to drive backwards.”

April 2022: Wilde is served Custody Papers while Promoting the Film at CinemaCon

While Wilde was on stage promoting the film and sharing the full trailer for the first time, she was handed an envelope marked “Personal and Confidential” by a female audience member. Wilde comments that the envelope is “mysterious”, but decides to open it because it “feels like it’s a script”. After reading the contents of it, she says “Okay, got it, thank you,” and continues with the presentation. 

It was revealed shortly after that the envelope contained legal papers served by Sudeikis regarding their daughter and son. 

Summer 2022: Pay rumors, Feud rumors about Pugh and Wilde

Rumors emerge that Pugh’s payroll is not as high as Harry’s despite her established career within the film industry; however, Wilde continues to shut down rumors and praises Florence’s performance over and over again. In her Variety cover story, she comments that “tabloid media is a tool to pit women against one another and to shame them.”

August 2022: LaBeouf Denies that he was Fired

LaBeouf maintains the claim that he left because of scheduling conflicts. A video surfaces soon after in which Wilde says she did not want him to leave, and that she wants him and Florence to reconcile. It’s still unclear what to make of the whole messy LaBeouf and Wilde situation, and it remains unclear if he chose to leave of his own volition. 

September 2022: Pugh not at Venice Film Festival Press

Florence does not promote the film nor participate in press conferences at the Venice film festival (although she does walk the red carpet). Some attribute her disappearance to her involvement in another production for Dune: Part Two. However Wilde side-steps further questions about Pugh’s whereabouts, in addition to LaBeouf and Pugh’s working relationship. 

Also at the film festival, people believe that Harry Styles spat on Chris Pine. However, Wilde defends Styles and affirms that the allegations are not true. Once again, she blames the internet for constructing a false narrative that pins co-stars against one another.

September 2022: Don’t Worry Darling Release and Rumors about Wilde and Pugh

Shortly after the film hits screens, the crew offers a statement addressing the gossip about conflicts between Pugh and Wilde. Some rumored that Wilde and Styles were often absent from set because they were “fooling around,” leaving Pugh to take on some of the directorial duties, and that Florence and Olivia got into a screaming match on set. In a statement to People, the cast said: “Any allegations about unprofessional behavior on the set of Don’t Worry Darling are completely false”. 

Does the film live up to all the discussion?

Honestly, yes. The movie has some very strong feminist themes embedded against the backdrop of the 1950s, a time period where women lacked substantial rights. However, I feel (like many others) that the film loses steam as the mystery unfolds, and it takes a very long time to reach the twist. The acting is phenomenal, and Pugh and Styles are great together. The visuals are stunning and the set, costume, and design are magnificent. With that being said, I think Wilde could’ve gotten to the point a bit quicker. I wouldn’t call it a must-see, but I would recommend giving it a watch once it’s released on streaming services. 

Rating: 3/5

Hayley is a junior at Colgate University, majoring in Political Science and minoring in Sociology. She loves animals (especially dogs), cooking, reading, and going for walks. She also loves writing and trying new things!