Wellness

What to Do on a School-Wide Break Day to Actually Make It Feel Like a Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colgate chapter.

While many of us may feel tempted to get ahead on work on break days, it is essential to remember to give yourself a real break. The purpose of these breaks is to step away from schoolwork and allow yourself to rejuvenate. It will help you be more productive throughout the semester if you take a real break rather than using it as a day to get ahead. Below are some ideas on how to make the most of your break day!

Get outside

Go for a walk around Hamilton: While the temperatures may seem daunting, with the right outerwear, Hamilton’s actually beautiful. Get to know the wonderful town better by walking to your favorite coffee shop instead of driving. 

Go snowshoeing: The hiking trails may definitely look different than they did this fall when we first got to campus, but they’re still just as beautiful! You can head over to basecamp and rent snowshoes to make the walk a bit easier. 

Watch a movie

At the Hamilton Movie Theater:  There’s nothing better than cozying up on a cold winter day with some hot cocoa and popcorn to watch a movie. If you are looking to watch some new releases, head downtown to the Hamilton Movie Theater. They have showings from Thursday- Sunday at 6:30 pm and 9:15 pm! 

Or at home:  If you want to stay in, put your pajamas on and cozy up to a favorite movie series with your roommates, such as the High School Musical series, the Home Alone series, the Harry Potter series, or the Legally Blonde series (3rd movie coming out in May!) 

Make food with your roommates

Cooking:  If you have an oven and the space, cooking a meal with your roommates can be a fun and relaxing way to spend the day. If you’re feeling adventurous, take on one of the famous nacho table or feta pasta Tiktok trends! Some more ideas include making homemade pizzas, a taco night, or spaghetti squash. 

Baking:  Or, if you have more of a sweet tooth, try making some magic bars, brookies, or if you want to get creative, make a refrigerator cake with your friends. 

Have a self-care day 

DIY mask:  Use your favorite face mask or hair mask to take some time to relax. Additionally, there are tons of DIY hair and face mask recipes online if you want to make your own! 

Meditate:  Meditation is a great way to clear your mind and ease some stress. There are tons of great meditation videos on YouTube, the Peloton app, and Instagram accounts! I highly recommend taking a 10-15 minute break to find a quiet space and meditate.

Paint your nails:  Painting your nails may be the perfect pick-me-up that you didn’t even know you needed! It will help you feel put together and can be super creative!

Phoebe Casey

Colgate '22

Hi! I'm Phoebe and I am a junior studying psychology.
Courtney Day

Colgate '22

Courtney Day is the Campus Correspondent for the Colgate University chapter of Her Campus. She is an English major, minoring in both Political Science and Writing & Rhetoric, and is a member of the Women's Varsity Lacrosse team.