Tips for Stress Management

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colgate chapter.

Early November is an extremely busy time for students. Classes are in full swing by this point, and teachers’ expectations are higher than ever. Many teachers also try to cram as much as possible into the span of the first few weeks of November to compensate for Thanksgiving and Winter Break. All of these factors plus friendship, boy, and family drama can lead to extreme stress, which is unhealthy not just for your brain, but also for your body. Follow these simple tips for stress management so you can actually relish these first few weeks in November:

1)    Exercise Regularly – Exercising is a fantastic way to let off some steam. Exercising is excellent for your muscles and is a great way to clear your head. Most people also report feeling more energized and refreshed after only half an hour of moderate exercise (biking, playing basketball, swimming, etc.)
 2)    Make time for yourself – In college, we rarely get time to ourselves. In being around others most of the time, we let ourselves get caught up in issues and fail to put things in perspective. Alone time is great for reflection and for simply getting away from it all.
 3)    Eat as healthily as possible – Although it is tempting to reach for those Snickers bars or brownies when you’re hungry, opt for a piece of fruit or hummus and vegetables instead. You’ll be glad you did! Eating sweet and salty junk food only makes you crave more, whereas protein rich health foods keep you full for longer.

4)    Watch your favorite TV shows and/or movies – Reward yourself for studying or doing homework by watching an episode of your favorite TV show or movie. It’s guaranteed to put you in a better mood, and a few laughs might be just what you need to get you through your day.

5)    Unwind with friends – Talking with your friends about any stress you might be experiencing is extremely important. They will most likely be able to offer you great advice, and even if they cannot, they will be eager to refer you to someone like a counselor who can. Your best friends also know exactly what can cheer you up and make you forget your worries for a while.

6)    Listen to Music – Listening to music is a great de-stressor. With music, you are able to ‘tune out’ from your busy life for a bit and actually concentrate on something that is not school related. Also, when you listen to music with your friends, dance parties become almost inevitable. Dancing is an incredibly fun way to take your mind off your worries and to invent new moves that leave your friends keeling over in laughter.

Emily Bliss is a sophomore at Colgate University, where her academic interests include Political Science, Economics, and Chinese. She hopes to attend business school upon her graduation. In addition to being a tour guide and admissions office volunteer, she competes with the Alpine Ski Racing Team and the Rugby Club. Emily calls Cambridge, Massachusetts home, as it is where she was born and raised, though she loves living in Hamilton, New York when school is in session. Her favorite activities include spending time in and around Boston, watching Gossip Girl, traveling, and cooking!