Life > Experiences

The Power of Giving Back: Volunteer Opportunities at Colgate

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colgate chapter.

The college years are undoubtedly some of the most influential and transformative times of our lives. It’s the period when you’re not just expanding your knowledge, but also your horizons, and volunteering is a fantastic way to do just that. It’s a chance to make an impact, discover your passions, and help make the world a better place. Colgate’s Center for Volunteering (the COVE) and connections with the local community offer students the opportunity to interact with Hamilton and the greater Madison community in a wide variety of ways.

If you’re looking for ways to engage with local students, the COVE offers a variety of volunteer tutoring programs for different schools throughout Madison County. Some popular tutoring clubs include:

• Colgate SAT Prep: Colgate SAT Prep is a program that seeks to address education disparities by offering free SAT preparation and practice, in addition to other college preparation activities, for high school students from the local Central New York community. 
  • Hamilton Central Elementary School Tutoring: Hamilton Elementary Tutors tutor on their own time and in a subject of their choosing. Tutors have a flexible schedule and can connect with local elementary school students over a topic that they are passionate about. 

If you love working with kids and are interested in forming strong relationships with members of the community, Colgate offers a variety of mentoring programs, including:

• Ophelia’s Girls: Ophelia’s Girls is a program that allows female students to mentor middle school girls at Madison Central. The focus of this program is on executing a variety of lessons, activities, and conversations surrounding adolescence and the issues that the girls are facing in their lives. 
  • Friends First: Friends First provides an opportunity for Colgate students to mentor a middle or high school student from Hamilton Central School. Colgate students are paired with an HCS student based on shared interests and needs and are encouraged to engage in a wide variety of fun activities with their mentees to build strong relationships. 

If you are interested in tackling more serious issues Colgate offers a variety of Community Advocacy Opportunities such as:

• Colgate Vote Project: Colgate Vote Project aims to engage student voters at Colgate by streamlining the registration and voting process. This project aims to support all students and create an environment that encourages political awareness and voter participation. 
  • SOMAC: The Southern Madison County Ambulance Corps is a non-profit organization that staffs 1 Paramedic and 1 basic EMT 24/7, with additional Colgate and local volunteers. The club associated with SOMAC hosts around 40 dedicated student volunteers who are committed to serving the community. 

As you can see, Colgate offers a wide variety of volunteer opportunities. There truly is something for everyone, and volunteering is a great way to support the wonderful Hamilton community that is so welcoming to us Colgate Students. If none of these sound like the best fit  for you, you can visit the COVE to ask for information about volunteer opportunities that meet your interests. You can also reach out to other students who are currently involved in volunteer opportunities to learn more about different groups and determine the right group for you!

Sarah Goggin

Colgate '26

Sarah Goggin is a sophomore at Colgate University double majoring in Psychology and Classical Studies. Her interests include writing, music, reading, and fashion.