Socially Distanced Fall Activities to Try

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colgate chapter.

Here at Colgate, it’s easy to tell that autumn has arrived. If you go outside and look in any direction, you will see a marvelous example of some of Central New York’s famous fall foliage. Although a lot of things are different at Colgate this semester, the colorful, cozy atmosphere that always comes with the fall season is unchanging. Given the circumstances of the semester, you might not be able to partake in some of the fall activities you would normally, but there are still lots of fun (socially distanced) things to do locally to celebrate the season!

1. Decorate a pumpkin! Grab some friends, a picnic blanket, and some carving tools or art supplies and head outside to Whitnall or a lawn somewhere and create a pumpkin-y masterpiece. Go with the classic Jack o’Lantern, or spice it up a bit and test your artistic abilities. If you decide to follow the carving route, make sure to bring some supplies to clean up, as pumpkin-carving can get messy!

2. Bake a fall dish! I recently made some homemade pumpkin pie (with a can of puree, not fresh from a pumpkin) as a special fall treat for my apartment-mates and I, and it was a great way to take a study break and do one of my favorite activities, baking. The fact that the smell of pumpkin permeated the apartment was a huge plus, too!

3. Take a walk! Colgate has some wonderful hiking trails up behind Frank where students can take a walk or run while enjoying the aforementioned beautiful foliage. Plan a socially distanced walk with some friends and enjoy all that nature has to offer during this colorful season.

4. Grab a pumpkin spice latte! These beloved beverages are available at many spots in town, like Flour and Salt, Dunkin’, and others. If you’re not into pumpkin spice, pick up a warm cup of tea and sit in the Green to relax and enjoy the foliage! (I know, I’ve said ‘foliage’ many times already, but it’s just so beautiful!).

5. Attend fall-themed events! Various groups on Colgate have been offering fun socially distanced activities and events to take a break from studying and enjoy the company of your fellow students. My friends and I attended a campfire last weekend up the hill by the residential quad, which was a great way to get outside, meet some new people, and enjoy a s’more. Check out the Colgate events calendar and take advantage of the fun events happening here on campus!

There are many other ways to enjoy fall here in Hamilton. Even if you aren’t on campus this semester, you can still partake in many of these activities! Fall is such a beautiful time of year, so try to participate in all of the activities you can before the snow hits Hamilton, which will happen soon enough! Happy fall!

Amanda Ennis

Colgate '22

I am currently a junior at Colgate University with a major in Neuroscience and a minor in Middle Eastern and Islamic Studies. I enjoy running, playing badminton, watching Netflix, and hanging out with friends in my free time!
Courtney Day

Colgate '22

Courtney Day is the Campus Correspondent for the Colgate University chapter of Her Campus. She is an English major, minoring in both Political Science and Writing & Rhetoric, and is a member of the Women's Varsity Lacrosse team.