Sarah’s Take on Take Out

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colgate chapter.

Sometimes you’re just craving take out or a break from Colgate food. Its okay….go wild, but make sure to know what to get. Number one rule of take out: go big, or go home. You’re not ordering take out to be healthy, so don’t skimp, and at places like Main Moon, there’s a $20 minimum so it isn’t really your fault. We all know the Colgate inn is the hot spot for a good meal, but what about more casual options? Here are my top three:

1.     Nichols and Beal: We all know Nichols is the go to place for a night out, but for food? I’m going to say it is by far the best food in town. Hands down. Don’t even try to argue. Aside from the fact the service is ridiculously fast, the people who work there are awesome. This is where I give a shout out to Hilary, the best and nicest bartender imaginable. You try putting up with drunken frat bros on a nightly basis; it takes a Saint. But the point here is food. The best-kept secret of the bar is what I call Hilary style nachos. Now not all the servers know what that means, so if they are confused just say “Can you make them in the microwave?” Wait. Hold up, did I say microwave? YUP. For some reason that is the key to great nachos. The second best item on the menu, or maybe tied for first: Bacon Cheddar Fries. Probably the greatest combination of words in the English language aside from Her Campus Colgate. Answer me this ladies, is there anything that goes together better than bacon and cheddar? Probably not.
2.     Main Moon: probably the most underrated  food in the area. I agree, from the look of the place,  I would expect the place to be sub-par. The key is  knowing what to order. The biggest issue I have  with Chinese food is the mysterious meat. Luckily  for you sesame chicken or sweet and sour chicken  fans, there is a solution. When you order, ask for  sweet and sour chicken. The sauce for this comes  on the side so they really have no choice but to give  you all white meat chicken, and its good. No  mystery there! If you want sesame chicken, order  the sweet and sour chicken, but ask for sesame  sauce on the side instead. Another great dish is  moo shu pork. This is essentially pork and veggies  in a pancake. I suggest this because I saw them  make it once and there is again, no mystery! Plus it  tastes awesome.

3.     Royal Indian Grill: definitely the best addition to Hamilton I can think of. I’m an Indian food fanatic, so I know good Indian food. The Royal Indian Grill is pretty good. The best part is, the lunch buffet is only $8, so you can try all the best dishes if you’re unsure you want to pay for a full meal. And lets be real, anything that involves the words “all you can eat” is like my bat call. 
That’s my top three…. and there’s a reason why my nickname back home is BFS aka Big Fat Sarah. It’s because of my appreciation for all food!
Xoxo,
BFS

Emily Bliss is a sophomore at Colgate University, where her academic interests include Political Science, Economics, and Chinese. She hopes to attend business school upon her graduation. In addition to being a tour guide and admissions office volunteer, she competes with the Alpine Ski Racing Team and the Rugby Club. Emily calls Cambridge, Massachusetts home, as it is where she was born and raised, though she loves living in Hamilton, New York when school is in session. Her favorite activities include spending time in and around Boston, watching Gossip Girl, traveling, and cooking!